LAWNMOWER STRESS AAAGHHH!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me please. I had to buy a new lawnmower bout a year and half ago as my B+Decker hover had finally died after many years. I bought a very robust , rotary model from Argos. To tell you the truth I could hardly lift it but as I have a medium sized, far from perfect garden, I though a stronger one would be better. Cant believe its completely knackered and now wont work! Anyhow, Iv been on the Internet all afternoon and am thoroughly fed up as I have hardly any money spare at moment, so have looked at all auction/bargain sites but when I check them in the review sites the models I can afford, people say dont touch with a barge pole. Im so wary of getting another dud that dies after a year that I dont know where to look. Has anyone got any advice pleeeeeease.

Heather of the long grassed garden :cry:

Sponsored Links
go for a quality make such as qualcast or flymo, you cant really go wrong with one of those. dont touch the own branded stuff

buy a push along mower, nothing much to go wrong, gives you excercise, cheap to run (or walk)

Sponsored Links
Loads of smoke, strong burning smell, screaming coming from machine resulting in it just tuning itself off. Think its completely burnt out. Thanks for advice about make, think Im gonna get a Flymo hover of some sort but am a bit nervous of the plastic blades as Ive always had a metal blade. Anyone know if the plastic are quite strong? (my garden is def not lawn you see, quite uneven and weedy :rolleyes: ).

Er, yes. Completely knackered it sounds.

I've a Flymo that must be twenty years old but it's hard work on the bumpy bits as it bottoms out against the humps. The pastic blades will cut regular grass but they need changing fairly often. Optional metal blade now on mine will cut anything :eek:

sounds like it's jammed..

a strip down, clean and re-build might sort it...

costs nothing but time...

sounds like it's jammed..

a strip down, clean and re-build might sort it...

costs nothing but time...
If the smoke has been let out of the motor, no amount of cleaning will get it working again.

Wotan

I've got one of these been going nearly 20 years with no problems. The newer MF's look a bit flimsy to me.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
My scythe is still in good nick after 80 years. The blade has only been replaced once and the grip twice.

Decided to buy a Flymo as have had loads of good feedback bout these. Hope it comes before my garden reaches chin height :rolleyes:
Thanks for all help, Heather x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back