Laying laminate flooring advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a very small upstairs hallway to lay (approx. 5 sq metres) and I have begun cutting the door jamps so that the laminate flooring can go under (what a nightmare that is, already ripped the teeth from my trusty saw thanks to the nails!).

The question I have is that the instructions say to begin with the longest wall. Well even my longest wall is only about 2 foot 6 long I live in a typical 3 bed semi and I'm sure my fellow DIY'ers out there have similar properties and have done this job.

Where should I start with my first row?

Many thanks
Daz

Sponsored Links
Except your hallway is a very complicated shape, how can it be 5 sq meters with a longest wall less than 1 meter?

hi start with the longest wall,but before starting cut the bottom of all the door architrives so the flooring wont be obstructed.You may need to fix battens across doorways on the side you start,, to give you a sollid line due to lack of walling for when you start knocking and pushing the floor together,...dont forget to use spacers between the wall/skirting and the first row of flooring,to keep a straight line when laying the floor....hope this helps..good luck

Sponsored Links
How are you going to "blend" it with the stairs?

I would measure carefully how many boards can be accommodated between the stairs and the longest wall. You don't want to be left with an inch gap along some wall which might be difficult to sort out. Length wise, if you start from the longest wall, you can use whole pieces of laminate for the recess but better figure out beforehand how to proceed when you reach the longer part of the floor outside the recess. Usually the manufacturers give some restrictions about the spacing of the joints and about the shortest pieces of laminate to be used.

thanks again for the replies. You can now sense how complicated this is with all the door openings, etc.

What way is the laminate going.
I would assume the planks run parrallel to the stair so you "longest wall" has the cuts on

From an amateur
I would start at the base of the stairs that long wall so you can lay a complete length off 12ft?? under the door jam and flush with the stairs.
Then lay towards the opposite wall.
Then get the decorators caulk out lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back