Laying Laminate in a massively unsquare room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Its the first time I am going to attempt to lay laminate floor, however I have now realised that the room is massively unsquare.

At one end it is 2000mm and at the other it is 2200mm. The door at the left hand side (as you look into the room) on the 2200mm side. The straightest wall is the one on the door side but it is still far from straight.

Couple of questions:-

Which way should i lay the floor?
Where should I start?
When I lay the boards should i trim them at the same angleas the wall so they boards all lay straight against the wall?

If you can give me any advice I will be most greatful.

Sponsored Links
Is there a 90 degree (approximately) angle at all? How do you plan to arrange the furniture in the room. If the floor by some of the walls is going to be mostly hidden by furniture, it might not matter that the laminate there is showing the insquareness of the room.

And finally, are you sure the measurements are correct? 200 mm is quite a lot.

There is going to be wardrobes down one side of the room and the opposite wall was the straightest so I started there.

The problem I have now is that I have got to the other wall and the gap is such that I need to cut diagonally through the board and I don't have the right kind of saw to do it. Any suggestions how I can do it? I only have a miter saw.

The measurements I gave are definitely correct, the most 'unsquare' wall used to be a shop front which was changed quite a number of years ago.

Sponsored Links
You can cut with a normal hand saw. Just measure and make sure you transfer the measurements to the board correctly. The cut will be by the wall, I suppose, and would be covered by a skirting board or similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back