Laying Wood floor over Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Working through the house re-doing a few rooms, and the lounge and hallway are looming up on the list.

We want to lay a timber floor, probably engineered rather than solid, but I want to lay insulation under the floor as the existing floors are not insulated.

Our ground floor is 20mm quarry tiles laid direct onto a concrete floor slab, and is quite cold as you can imagine. House is 1950's era so no dpm or insulation under the slabs.

I can get the quarry tiles off pretty readily (SDS drills are great aren't they?) as I removed an area in the kitchen recently to replace the rising main.

I am wondering if I lay an extruded type insulation sheet either Kingspan, Cleotex, or similar (PIR, PUR or XPS) first can I lay the flooring directly onto these, or would a layer of ply be advisable to help spread the load?

Would you still lay a sheet type liner under the flooring?

FWIW damp is not a problem in the house.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back