LCD TV mounted over gas fire

My 52" plasma sits on a very solid table as I could not find a wall mount that I would trust. It seems to weigh about 65 kg.

When it started cutting off when hot I bought a 46" LCD which runs cooler but just sits in front of the plasma. Its much lighter and perhaps about 38 kG.

The Sharp LCD is only about a year old and the sound on both channels has failed!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I seriously looked at the Sony but it was about 30% more than the Sharp and the picture quality of the Sharp was well liked by reviewers

But I do have a Sony HD camcorder!

We also bought a Sony Bravia for the BYO house.

Tony

I'm just about to get one of those sharp led panels, 40% off with a 5 year warranty can't see how I can go wrong....going to fit it on the chimney breast aswell although I haven't turned my fire on for 3 or 4 years.
Sony, are you guys serious? are you remembering the days when they had quality control, customer service and didn't manufacture rubbish whilst not accepting obvious generic faults?. They are the only manufacturer of electrical goods I wouldn't touch with a bargepole except possibly for tellies.

Sponsored Links
Sony LCDs are pretty good IMHO, well I have one :LOL: but I wouldn't have anything else apart from a PS3 from Sony. Samsung have the same panels as Sony, it's just the technology behind them that's different.

Loewe are a make some people rave about on the AV forums, but very expensive. Pioneer plasma screens are meant to be fantastic too.

Its amazing and yet not so difficult to find examples of, where the size of the tv overides all thoughts of home safety :rolleyes:
How does size affect this?

ChrisJ78 wrote:
Sony LCDs are pretty good IMHO, well I have one icon_lol.gif but I wouldn't have anything else apart from a PS3 from Sony. Samsung have the same panels as Sony, it's just the technology behind them that's different.

Surely it's the technology which determines the screen quality, refresh rate etc.

The Sharp LCD is only about a year old and the sound on both channels has failed!

Try mentioning Sale Of Goods Act 1979 as amended, where 'Satisfactory quality' now is to include 'durability' para 14 sub para 2B (e)

See this link:-
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/RevisedStatutes/Acts/ukpga/1979/cukpga_19790054_en_2

Basically states as long as you pay a reasonable price for goods they must last a reasonable time. Also implies every good has a life therefore making all 1 year guarantees a worthless insult to the consumer.

If you ask Sony, Matsushita and the other big electronic manufacturers if they reckon their tv's etc only last one or two years then die I think they'd disagree.
Therefore they are obliged under this Act to repair or replace at their cost or if just over this lifespan then at a proportionate cost.

Ollski wrote,
I'm just about to get one of those sharp led panels, 40% off with a 5 year warranty can't see how I can go wrong....going to fit it on the chimney breast aswell although I haven't turned my fire on for 3 or 4 years.
Sony, are you guys serious? are you remembering the days when they had quality control, customer service and didn't manufacture rubbish whilst not accepting obvious generic faults?. They are the only manufacturer of electrical goods I wouldn't touch with a bargepole except possibly for tellies.

*** Ollski STOP!!!!!! ***

*** DO NOT BUY EXTENDED WARRANTIES ***

Read the above note regards DURABILITY.

Under English Law you cannot claim insurance twice for the same event so why pay twice? (You are already covered under the Act which your taxes paid for!!! :eek: )

I digress, does this mean I need a flue/chimney?
How much does a flue cost and can I fit it myself?
Or is this subject to more of our wonderful British red tape over-complicating unenforceable bureaucracy which many common sense competent people simply just ignore. Stick to punching people Prestcott!! It's what you're good at! :evil: Oops did I say that out loud? :)

ChrisJ78 wrote:
Sony LCDs are pretty good IMHO, well I have one icon_lol.gif but I wouldn't have anything else apart from a PS3 from Sony. Samsung have the same panels as Sony, it's just the technology behind them that's different.

Surely it's the technology which determines the screen quality, refresh rate etc.

Indeed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back