Lead Flashing Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on a lead flashing leak I have.
In the summer I hired a Roofer on MyBuilder who had 300 5* feedbacks
as one of my widows the cement had broken away and was open and letting water in. The roofer who came out resealed the lead using FlashBand, I am not convinced this was the correct way of resolving the issue and after looking at the job could have easily done it myself.
The lead on none of the windows has been installed into a groove, which in my opinion would have been the correct way.
Here is a picture of the work the roofer carried out in the summer, the roofer has just gone over the top of the old lead:

IMG_20200304_144824_opt.jpg

Now another one of my windows has gone the same was, can anybody please advise how best to reseal the lead?

Here is a pic of the window/lead causing the problem:

IMG_20200305_170002_opt.jpg

And a close up.

IMG_20200304_144230_opt1.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The only way of doing it properly is renewing the lead.

The only way of doing it properly is renewing the lead.

Thanks for your reply, yes I thought he should of cut a slot in the stone and secured and sealed the flashing properly and remove some tiles to ensure it is properly fitted.
What would be your view on the repair the roofer carried out on my roof in the summer is it a satisfactory repair?

Flashband is a temporary patch repair product.
What did he tell you when he did it, and were you charged for a temporary repair.

Sponsored Links
He never told me it was a temporary fix, he told me he uses it on all his jobs and has had no complaints.
He charged me £250 for the repair.
I could have done that fix myself.

With regards to the new leak, I am a bit concerned about calling another roofer out this time of the year, it is certainly the prime time to be ripped off with all the bad weather recently.
I take it the roofer should have cut a groove into the stone to secure the flashing and sealed it, whilst removing a row of tiles to ensure it is fitted properly?
As a temporary repair until the summer would you recommend trying to reseal the lead with cement or copying the roofer and using flashband.

Thanks again.

you are in control of your own destiny.. if you allow your self to get ripped off, likely you will
get some quotes

I thought my original roofer was decent I found him on MyBuilder and his feedback was perfect 300+ 5* and I got a few quotes at the time.
My original roofer could have used lead flashing and it may have leaked like a sieve, as it is luckily it's still watertight and that's all most people are interested in, hence why he has decent feedback, but I could have done that job myself.
Decent roofers just seem very hard to come by.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back