what is lead flash?

Sponsored Links
The trouble is we are telling the OP that he has been mugged and don't pay them. He will be the one telling 2 blokes to b*****r off your not getting your money.

Most people don't like getting knocked, especially the conmen!!

Andy
Very true - But get on to Watchdog / Rogue traders , they love these stories ;)

Sponsored Links
What he could do is remove the flashband, phone the cowboys up and tell them that what they quoted for is not what was supplied and offer them the flashband back to them. Offer to let them come round and see that it has all being removed at a convenient time.

ONLY DO THIS when you have your cousin/mate/uncle round who has just come back from the gym with his friends.

At least the cowboys will see your mates there and your mates will know what they look like.

You could always phone them up and suggest to post the flashband back to them, I take it you have their address?

Andy

Sadly the original poster is a she - although I have some fight in me I am not up to taking on a couple of chaps on me own...

Thank you for all your advice - I feel more confident in fighting my corner now...

unfortunately the people I engaged are from a "reputable company" trading a long time locally and not exactly far away so I don't want to cause problems - it is unfortunate that this has not turned out to be good experience as I really hoped to find someone I could rely on for some future work - instead it has made me ever more wary - much rather do things myself where I can!!!

If they have a decent reputation then they should be willing to put it right.

Reputable companies do not leave work like that.

Right that to me is better news. Phone the company up and ask the boss to come round and have a look at the job, explain to him that it is not lead flashing as quoted in the quote and ask when will he be sending someone else to remove and put right.

If he starts to argue with you, you can mention that you have spoken to the local paper and they are willing to right a story.

See what he says.

Also, have a witness with you to give you moral support.

Andy

Back to square one.

You can tell him that the work he has done is not what he quoted. You have now lost confidence in him/work and you will get another company to do the work. You can also mention that you feel threatened by him and if he contacts you again you will call the police.

Do this in writing and send it special delivery.

DON'T open the door to him.

Andy

Contact trading standards (consumer protection) for a home visit. Invite the builder to attend at the same time

Otherwise there is no need to lie about papers or otherwise. Tell the builder that you don't agree with the work done being as per the quote. So if a solution can't be negotiated then you will have to agree on a suitable arbitrator ..... which can be a trading standards officer or a report from an independent professional surveyor

The OP is not entitled to engage any other builder at this stage - well she can but at her own cost.

The thing to bear in mind is, when a builder has done poor work or mislead in a quote, then they never want the work scrutinised by a third party. They will huff and puff but will invariably reach some sort of agreement rather than let others judge their work or business practices

Also, if this is a common practice for this company, then you probably should inform the council's consumer protection team, so that it can be investigated and perhaps prevent other people falling for poor work

Ok – so I engaged someone to do something I understood would fix my leaking conservatory and something i could not do myself – ie LEAD work...

I ended up with a DIY patch up that I would never have dreamt of paying someone to do.

They have now explained that trying to lead under the existing code 4 would exacerbate my problems due it having been stuck down so well with silicone... (Not sure I believe them but it seems plausible)

Now I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place – the quote was set out to con me – I would not have engaged them to put a plaster on my roof but what I understood the quote to be apparently would not solve my problems...

I do not want to pay them for what they have done as if that really is the only solution to my problems I would have done that myself .

Given the above, the fact my roof has a hole in it after their visit that was not there before and their general discourteous and unprofessional manner i am not sure I actually want them on my property again.

They still have an end cap and drip bar to fit that didn’t turn up in time for the job... given the lead time I can’t see how they could not have arranged this – I am not sure how the end cap will be fitted as they have shoved so much silicon in the bar it fits into... I am sure I could manage to source both parts and fit them myself if I can get through their silicon.

Of course they are going to do their utmost to make me cough up but realistically what can they legally do... even though it was not what I wanted I could just about bring myself to pay for the materials but no labour do you think this is a reasonable compromise?

What sort of silicon or sealant do I need to use on my roof if I do need some to fit either part? (I haven’t looked into how to do this yet so it may be I don’t)

For the money charged, they should have used 12" Lead and dressed it in one piece. All strapped and clipped. If you pay the material money, £4.62 inc VAT should cover it.

They have now explained that trying to lead under the existing code 4 would exacerbate my problems

You engaged this firm to fix your leaking conservatory. So, pardon the pun, that statement does not hold water.

They where engaged to do what was needed to fix the leak ... they presumably inspected, and quoted to fix the problem via a recognised repair (ie lead replacement) .... and you got something different .... adhesive flashing with a load of silicone

What you need to do is write down your concerns and reasons why you believe that the work was not as per the quote and what you feel needs to be done - eg a different repair (with lead) or you pay a token amount and instruct another builder

Not war an peace, just a bullet point and a sentence or two for each item/reason.

Go through this with the builder and give him a copy.

Make notes, and if you can't reach a solution, then you need to suggest arbitration by a third party as mentioned previously

Bear in mind that there is nothing wrong with using this type of adhesive flashing tape (many conservatory installation guides actually mention it), but the thing is (1) is it what you were quoted for/expected (2) is it suitable for a lasting repair for your circumstances, and (3) has it been done properly

That's not flashband, it's called Butyl Flashing, a white sticky butyl underneath and a green lead look to the outside. It's mainly used to stick to polycarb and for most polycarb applications. It's more expensive than flashband but nevertheless they've still overcharged you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back