lead flashing for timber lantern ridge?

Flashband will look similar to the black silicone and I could still bond a mop stick to the top of the glass. I filled it with silicone as it was tiny and the glass butted close together forming an sharp apex. The silicone filled and flattened it. I now have a flat top that will flashband and give another layer of water resistance and the black neat finish on the inside. I now can either bond a thin mop stick to it (can you but a thin long piece?) and then bond a strip of lead over the entire area, or by a piece of the fibre ridge mentioned previously and bond that.
The tricky bit will be the 2 wide, angled ends. A straight piece would do the middle section but how do you finish the ends without using a massive, ugly piece. £ sections? one on each end and then the straight over it? A sort of I shape?

Sponsored Links
you would just stop the ends of the mop stick at a taper where it meets the hip covers. the reason to use silicone rather than flash banding is that you will want to trim it off at the edge of the lead. try getting flash banding off of the glass. Now there are ways around it involving dry runs and masking tape, if you can be bothered, but done properly lead alone should be sufficient to weather the ridge.

UPDATE -
Hello again folks. I went the flash band route and put an I shaped strip over the area and it's held up quite well.
I went abroad for a few weeks and upon retuning everything seems sound (though I was told it rain slightly, but was mostly dry.) I now plan to do a final layer of lead over the flash-band area. I plan to use the mop stick method recommended by chappers, but without a proper mop stick. The ones I have seen at my local roofers yard seem too big, so I am considering usingsome half round dowelling that's not very thick, maybe 30mm. I will then glue it to the flash band and lead over it. Question is - should I go for code 3 or 4? Never got a real response, but figured members have worked with both, so could suggest which one to use. As I mentioned, I've never used lead before and don't wish to tap it level with a hammer! I was thinking of moulding and smoothing it with a broom handle end, or similar. I will bond the lead to the flashband and some glass, so wondered if anyone had any recommendations. I thought if I used a black glue, then it would liik neater.
Chappers had a method I liked, but not sure if I black siliconed the glass first, if the lead would bond onto it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back