Lead Gutters and pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe a daft question, but I am new to this.
Does lead pipework need to be replaced.
I am working on a listed building and am worried that the people in the house will have brain damage/lead poisoning.
as I said, a strange question - is there any legislation??
many thanks.

Sponsored Links
erm yes, its not ideal. Does it have to be replaced, I'm sure if your looking at adherence to local water bylaws for potable / drinkable water taht would be yes.

Suggest this is moved to plumbing pages

There is no leglisation in the UK which requires lead pipework to be replaced.

In fact perhaps 50% of supply pipes to houses in London are still in lead.

Many people think its a good idea to replace them until they see the likely cost involved and then they change their mind!

Tony

Lead from a mains water service can affect the developement of children under 10. By running some water off every day before drinking water is taken then the risk is greatly reduced.

Lead gutters as you mention in the title only need attention if they leak or the lead has seriously deteriorated so that a leak is imminent

Sponsored Links
Im not sure I agree with the fact that there is no legislation. I'm not an expert but as I recall there are WrAS guidlines and water bylaw regulations that you should comply with if building new - hence a guide as to what is recommended good practise.

This would state that lead is not permitted. In addition to that, from the Chartered Inst Of Building Services engineers handbook, I'm sure there is text in relation to its medical effects, again emphasising that lead should where possible be replaced. I'll have to go and look it up now....

Lead pipes.
You cannot fit it (obviously) but if it is there they can't make you change it.
Gutters and downpipes
Can be made of whatever turns you on

Yes thats correct Regulations are not backward compatiable,which is good thing otherwise all these listed buildings etc would have to have insulation and plasterboard installed all over the place and other horrendous activity just to bring them up to spec!

Lead if left alone and not disturbed by changing it in anyway will not cause any problems ,a lining builds up inside it over time anyways,its when this is broken off for example by cutting it then there is change thus contaminating your water supply

I totally agree where possible ,it should be changed out and replaced with MDPE.Alot of the time this helps if you have poor flow rate and pressure.

in answer to the original post....

If you could afford to, yes as thats what current good practise guidelines say. Do you legally have to No. Do thousands if not millions live in houses still supplied with water from lead pipes, I suspect so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back