Lead Lok's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there folks.

just what i didnt need - the galv steel cold water tank above my hot water cylinder finally gave up the ghost yesterday and rusted away forming a rather large pin hole leak. doh! i have emptied the tank and am looking at replacing it myself with a new plastic tank. i have seen a suitable tank here:
which should do the job nicely but the pipe that feeds the cylinder is 22mm lead so i need to find a 22mm "lead lok", ive found a 15mm connection here:http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=50738&id=10500
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea...=lead+lok&n=&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=8&y=8 can anyone point me in the right direction, or even let me know if im on the wrong track.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
How far back does the lead pipe go ?

it might be as well to replace the whole run of lead with copper pipe. remember the regs state all taps are suposed to deliver only wholesome water.

Sponsored Links
the 2 lead loks i need are for the overflow, which runs through about a metre of wall so i dont fancy replacing that, and the other is for the feed to the bottom of the hot water cylinder, which seems to run nice and simple to access (not) right behind the cylinder!!!
i understand the concern, but am hoping this is more of a temp measure and when the weather gets warm enough - new baby in the house - i am going to replace the system with a combi, so no more lead pipes.

QUite often you really can remove the nut on the inside of the old galv tank, and just make the right sized hole in the right place on your plastic one, and bung it in.
There are fittings which clamp onto the outside of a pipe - galv, lead or whatever. "Johnsons" I think, but a (very) good plumbers merchant will have them. A bit easier in a tight spot.

Just thought id update peeps on this post.
As kevplumb kindly pointed me to a supplier i ordered the 2 fittings last friday and paid by cc, i received an email that they had been despatched and would be with me on monday, brill i thought, can remove the old tank over the weekend and fit the new stuff monday eve.
....get to tuesday...no sign of the fittings so i send an email asking about delivery...no reply :confused: , however a copy of the invoice arrives in tues post, gets to thurs....no sign, so i call them and the customer services dept says the items seem to heve got lost, will call me back :( . i assume this means sometime later today so i wait for the call to let me know when replacements will be sent.....no call, so i call back - "oh im sorry sir, they should've told you that the customer services dept is now closed until after easter, so no-one will be calling you till tuesday" :mad: so i say "can you despatch the items this aft for delivery tomorrow" they reply "no sir, the warehouse is closed for stocktake till after easter" :evil: , so i say "can you refund my credit card then" "no sir the accounts dept is closed till after easter". so basically "screw you sir" !!!!! :evil:

just to bump this one along again.

THIS IS POSSIBLY THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH!!
i must have spent around 2 hours on the phone speaking to 5 or 6 different people and depts, so far have had 4 delivery notes and invoices for a product that has only been delivered once - 2 weeks after i cancelled the already 1.5 week late order!! :evil:
still not received a refund on my card - 10 days after being assured it would be refunded within 5 days :evil:

I WILL NEVER ENTERTAIN USING THEM AGAIN.

(No offence whatsoever to Kevplumb)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back