Lead replacement - Is this quote in the ball park?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive had a quote to replace lead which is between the house and a flat fibreglass roof (which is also a fairly large balcony area).

The original lead, I am told, was installed wrong, as it wasnt split in to sections to allow thermal expansion and contraction, so it has split.

It also seems to have been installed too low relative to the roof, although I am not sure how that can be fully remedied since there is a doorway and sill that might prevent it going higher up.

The length to be replaced is approx 6m, so i guess with overlaps etc.. it might be 7-8m of lead needed?

What code should they be using was one question I had, is it heavier requirement because its on to a flat roof which is a balcony?

The initial quote is £360 material and labour - does that seem fair?

He said any remedial to the fibreglass under the flashing would be included.

Just wondering if I should get a second quote or if people think this is the level it should be?

Sponsored Links
what width off lead is required
6m x 1m is about £200
6m x 250mm is about £50
dont know what hes priced for

Hi,

the roof is fibreglass, its only a flashing type bit between roof and house wall , so it wont be 1m wide strip, but yes, I was more looking for a ballpark guidance, and about the thickness that he should be using, since the roof is also a floor for balcony, as obviously the higher code lead is up to twice as thick as say code 4, and more expensive too. Also is this a job that would be a few hours, or a whole day?

Sponsored Links
flashing to flat roof, probably 150mm or 240mm that is 18 kg or 27 kg per 6 mtr rolls @ roughly £2.40 Kg=
don't use less than code 4 , code 5 would be better

well I guess he is allowing say £70 to £80 lead incl VAT, maybe some for leadmate or mortar and a bit for any fibreglass.

and a days labour.

obviously without having seen the job it would be impossible to give a qualified answer as to whether its the right price....if I was to stick a finger in the air, I would guess its not cheap but not horrendous either.

Notch7, datarebal , both thanks for that, gives me at least feeling it isn't massively taking the mick.

Code 4 wedged and pointed with mortar.

No more than one day's work plus around £80 materials.

The contractor will most likely take the old lead and weigh it in, but won't tell you this or knock it off the bill. So tell him you want a rebate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back