lead soakers enough rise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just had my roofer fix the faulty render after chasing him for 4 months. I just noticed on the photos I took of the stripped render - that some of the soakers don't seem to be rising up the parapet wall very much.

Can anyone tell me if my suspicions are correct please?

Cheers

soakers_height_2.jpg

the area in the circle is the lowest (you can see where the render comes down onto the soakers by the light staining on the lead.

And here's the same wall with the new render applied:

soakers_height_3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just a small thing before someone answers the upstand question.

You can't actually have soakers with double roman tiles as there is nothing to support them at top. It should be a cover flashing.

Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean. Have I misunderstood what soakers are?

Are you saying that what's shown on the photo aren't soakers - or are you saying that they are soakers, but they have been done wrong?

Cheers

Juan

Sponsored Links
Your roofer has been a little unconventional by using individual pieces of lead put between the tile laps just like a soaker. If done properly (and the photos seem to indicate that it has been) then this will be weatherproof.

The reason that he has done the flashing this way rather than in longer lengths is bacause it is easier to dress the lead tight to the tiles.

The upstand of the lead against the wall is adequate although perhaps on the bottom course on the RH side it could have been higher. Having said that, provided the bell bead covers the lead (which it does) then it should not be a cause for concern.

All-in-all you seem to have got a pretty good job there. I'm especially impressed that the tiles and lead are still clean after rendering above!

Yup, unconventional is a good word lol

It does look a very neat job as Roofer has said and as the lead has been taken over two rolls the tile is well weathered so hopefully it should be fine.

Cheers, it's good to have an opinion from someone in the know. I've become a bit of a roof obsessive since chasing my roofer to fix the render that cracked and I just want to check everything, especially after shelling out £11000.

I just wanted to rule this element out - cos there is a bit of moisture inside the roof where the roof meets the parapet wall. After your assessment I am now going back to my original assumption that it is due to condenstation as there are a few holes in the ceiling that need sealing. And I've also got a large hole leading up to the velux window (which needs to be tunnelled up) with a crappy polystyrene suspneded ceiling underneath.

Here's a photo of the hole below the velux:

airflow.jpg

Am I right in assuming that this would cause a lot of moisture to rise into the loft?

I've been sticking a dehumidifier up there now and then to keep it in check (it's only a bit where it meets the cold wall)

Cheers

Juan

especially after shelling out £11000.
:eek: :eek:

cos there is a bit of moisture inside the roof where the roof meets the parapet wall
Keep an eye on this although you should be able to tell if it's a leak or condensation. Your roofer has installed new underlay so you shouldn't notice a leak anyway unless it is getting behind the lead; but if the render was cracked before then that could have been the cause.

Am I right in assuming that this would cause a lot of moisture to rise into the loft?
Yes

Your roofer has installed new underlay so you shouldn't notice a leak anyway unless it is getting behind the lead; but if the render was cracked before then that could have been the cause.

Yeah - that's why I was pushing him to fix it - because it was cracked all the way along where it joined the old render. But now it's fixed and there's still a bit of moisture. But it is right in the corner of between the undelay and the wall - and seeing as there's lead above this bit, I assume that the moisture can't evaporate out through the underlay (it's modern breathable stuff).

I will only know for sure when I get the loft sealed properly.

PS - I'm going to lay new insulation up there. Would you recommend laying a water proof sealing sheet and then put the insulation rolls on top of that - or just lay the rolls?

Cheers

again

Hi, I would agree with other posts the lead work has been done in an acceptable fashion. However i would recommend that the rendered areas be painted or sealed with a good masonry paint, as parapet walls in older buildings do not have DPC built in to prevent moisture soaking in and below roof line and into the building. Good Luck

Yes, I am intending on waterproofing all the render when the weather is good.

re the price...

hmm, yes I didn't comment on the price quoted it does seem a tad high doesn't it lol

Yes, I wasn't happy about the price, but I was persuaded to believe that I was getting a higher standard of work from a firm that was recommended by someone else - and the other quotes I got were a lot lower, which made me suspicious (what can you do?).

But for £11000 we got all new timbers, a new valley, all new lead, all new render, a row of coping stones laid, a big velux put in, refelt, rebattern and retile. Does the price seem more understandable now - or still a bit steep.

Anyway - for the price I paid, I'm going to be on their heals to fix anything that isn't right (which I have already had to do).

On that point - what waterproofer would people recommend - I've heard good things about tompsons weatherseal, but I'm not in a position to judge.

Cheers all

Just a question about the land valley(the lead at the bottom of the tiles) what length did he lay it in?(how long from one end to another) does it step down as it goes along? what grade or code is the lead?
Cheers
Dave

Ahh - acctually, that's Rhepanol EDPM stuff, not lead, so it's all in one length. The idea of lead was just going to put the budget up even more. He said it would be fine (and it seems to do it's job), but I am keeping my eye on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back