Lead solder on potable water

its very easy to see what type of a person dianef is,,, the type we all avoid doing repeat jobs for ,,,,, been doing this long enough to see a wingger a mile off,, probably works for local government in a office gets to work 1 hour early just in case one morning knocks a dog down and is late,, if the plumber says they are coming at 9am ,,, be on the phone to him at 9.03,, by wanting to report some one for a bitt of soldier will bring you no luck,,remember what comes around goes around

Sponsored Links
Dear oh dear, you do paint a very bad picture of the second city of the empire Onetap??!!

If one was to read & believe all the statistics & reports on health related matters, you would not get out of bed in the morning.
The OP will get his pipes & fittings changed tomorrow & could get knocked down by a bus on Friday.

Regardless of Prof Onetap's American report, the risks are very, very low.
But hey, you could well become a serial killer overnight after drinking a cup of water!!! Don't risk it mate, get these fittings changed, now!!!

My Granny lived all her life in a tennement building that had all lead pipes, she lived to 96, worked until she was 82 & never had a day of illness in her life. In fact to my knowledge; there was never anyone in her street died of lead poisoning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

" Lead exposure in children is also correlated with neuropsychiatric disorders such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and antisocial behavior. Elevated lead levels in children are correlated with higher scores on aggression and delinquency measures. A correlation has also been found between prenatal and early childhood lead exposure and violent crime in adulthood. Countries with the highest air lead levels have also been found to have the highest murder rates, after adjusting for confounding factors.] A May 2000 study by economic consultant Rick Nevin theorizes that lead exposure explains 65% to 90% of the variation in violent crime rates in the US. A 2007 paper by the same author claims to show a strong association between preschool blood lead and subsequent crime rate trends over several decades across nine countries. It is believed that the U.S. ban on lead paint in buildings in the late 1970s, as well as the phaseout of leaded gasoline in the 1970s and 1980s, partially helped contribute to the decline of violent crime in the United States since the early 1990s.

So remind us Dick, whereabouts in Glasgow did your Granny live?

Most lead poisoning in that area is now of the high velocity variety.

Kinheck Onetap, the state this countrys in, we must feed them lead sandwiches at school. :LOL:

My Granny lived all her life in a tennement building that had all lead pipes, she lived to 96, worked until she was 82 & never had a day of illness in her life. In fact to my knowledge; there was never anyone in her street died of lead poisoning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

" Lead exposure in children is also correlated with neuropsychiatric disorders such as attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and antisocial behavior. Elevated lead levels in children are correlated with higher scores on aggression and delinquency measures. A correlation has also been found between prenatal and early childhood lead exposure and violent crime in adulthood. Countries with the highest air lead levels have also been found to have the highest murder rates, after adjusting for confounding factors.] A May 2000 study by economic consultant Rick Nevin theorizes that lead exposure explains 65% to 90% of the variation in violent crime rates in the US. A 2007 paper by the same author claims to show a strong association between preschool blood lead and subsequent crime rate trends over several decades across nine countries. It is believed that the U.S. ban on lead paint in buildings in the late 1970s, as well as the phaseout of leaded gasoline in the 1970s and 1980s, partially helped contribute to the decline of violent crime in the United States since the early 1990s.

So remind us Dick, whereabouts in Glasgow did your Granny live?

Most lead poisoning in that area is now of the high velocity variety.

Kinheck Onetap, the state this countrys in, we must feed them lead sandwiches at school. :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
That's where all the lead from the church roof went!!!

Sponsored Links
In spite of what Onetap says, there has not been any lead in petrol for about 20 years. Thats what the LRP petrol was for.

Still used in petrol for aviation, apparently. And the residues from leaded petrol are still in the environment, in the soil and making its way into the water courses.

The OP will get his pipes & fittings changed tomorrow & could get knocked down by a bus on Friday.

Regardless of Prof Onetap's American report, the risks are very, very low.

I agree, but why take a risk when you can easily avoid it?
Similarly, I try to minimize the 'knocked down by a bus' risks by not walking in the roads and using the pavements.

Still used in petrol for aviation, apparently. And the residues from leaded petrol are still in the environment, in the soil and making its way into the water courses.

Even aviation fuel now is mostly low lead content.

But that only applies to piston engined planes! Not to jets!

When did you last fly in one of them?

Last time I did was about 25 years ago between Scottish Islands!

I agree, but why take a risk when you can easily avoid it?
Similarly, I try to minimize the 'knocked down by a bus' risks by not walking in the roads and using the pavements.[/quote]

Aye & I wear my 'Y' fronts outside my trousers & fly everywhere!!

Have you done a 'Risk Assessment' for crossing the road yet Prof H&S Onetap??

But that only applies to piston engined planes! Not to jets!

When did you last fly in one of them?

I know. And about 1977, in a De Haviland Dragon Rapide; I got out at 3,000 feet.

its very easy to see what type of a person dianef is,,, the type we all avoid doing repeat jobs for ,,,,, been doing this long enough to see a wingger a mile off,, probably works for local government in a office gets to work 1 hour early just in case one morning knocks a dog down and is late,, if the plumber says they are coming at 9am ,,, be on the phone to him at 9.03,, by wanting to report some one for a bitt of soldier will bring you no luck,,remember what comes around goes around

LOL. And you sound like a kind of plumber that used to get regular work until the idiots in government introduced the Gas Safe Register. Now you can't get much work because you haven't got the card with a number. Jobsworths eh, who was ever hurt by a tiny gas leak, its all natural after all . ;)

Stereotyping works both ways. For info and not that its relevant but I work as a contractor in private sector. I do turn up to work on time because if I don't, I won't get my contract renewed. When there is only 5-6 companies you can work for you learn quickly to be professional and look after your reputation.

Ultimately, people like me will report plumbers like this. Someone will compile statistics and if the numbers add up, pass legislation to take the leaded solder off the shelves. If people can't comply to simple rules, the choice gets taken away for everyone. If you don't like it, places like India are far more relaxed about stuff like this. Just don't complain when they send you on the job with some asbestos rope and a pot of monkey muck :LOL:

You sound like the sort of person who swallows anything that politicians, the government and the EU tells you.

I suppose you're cock-a-hoop that lead has been removed from petrol. Well, the truth is, to get unleaded to perform properly it contains extra benzene. Benzene is a carcinogenic. So, get the flags out, no more lead. Hang on a minute though, we won't get thick kids any more (although they seem just as thick as ever), but we're getting increased levels of cancer because of the benzene. Hmm, not such a good idea then.

How many fittings did this plumber add to your potable water system? Maybe a dozen. How much of the lead solder in these fittings is actually in contact with the water running through the fittings? Hardly any. Most of the solder is sandwhiched in the gap between the fitting and pipe. So, over the next 20 years, how much of the miniscule amount of lead solder that actually contacts the water in these dozen fittings will be deposited in the hundreds of thousands of gallons of water that pass through? You wouldn't even be able to measure it.

I use lead free because it's what the dumbass rules say. The customer pays the extra. Although a few months ago when I had run out, I actually piped my new kitchen tap with a few lead soldered joints. My funeral. :rolleyes:

Before you rush off to report your plumber and me to WRAS, who will do zilch, have a Benson's and relax. Rules: for the guidance of wise men, and the obeyance..............................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back