Leak in Pipe in Attic attached to roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wasn't sure if this is a Roofing or a Plumbing question so thought I'd try here first...

I have noticed there is a leak from a pipe up in my attic. The pipe in question is a Polypipe 110mm x3.2mm and the leak can be seen at the join in the first picture on the RHS. Does this look like it just needs a seal replacement or the whole pipe section?

With regards to this pipe it attaches to some ducting that affixes to the roof (image 2). Does anyone know what this is exactly? Is it some sort of venting (I checked outside and can't see a vent sticking out of the roof at this location) or for catching water run-off? If the pipe is leaking then does this mean water is getting in somehow but shouldn't be?

thanks for any advice anyone can give

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 498
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 447
Sponsored Links
stand back and take some wider photos please.

Is it above the bathroom?

It it above the kitchen?

Is it above the corner where the soil pipe rises through the house?

Or is it above an extractor fan?

Where do the ends seem to go?

Do you smoke?

Thanks for the response. I've included a wider picture and also one as far as I can of where the pipe tuns from.
This pipe is above an extractor fan for a shower room (white duct for that is visible on right of pic 3 below)
It ends up at picture 4 though not sure it is showing the soil pipe, I would assume so(not an expert on these things)?
Hope this helps clarify & no smokers in the house.

Attachments

• image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 387
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 401
so let's postulate that it is the duct for the extractor. Steamy air will flow up it and form condensation, which will collect in the folds of the flexi hose, and any horizontal pipes where it can't run out.

The pipe probably vents through a special tile. Look closely and you may be able to see it.

you can reduce condensation in the pipe by wrapping it in insulation, such as loft quilt.

Have a good look at the pipe joints. Soil pipe sockets have a rubbery plastic ring that should seal round the pipe if properly inserted.

Sponsored Links
When I look at it there is the white flexible ducting that goes from the extractor and then ends in a vent at the side (which I can see outside) so assume that is where all the extraction moisture goes from the shower room. This grey pipe next to it is totally separate from the white flexible ducting, it runs from the roof and goes to this downpipe. There doesn't seem to be any moisture anywhere else except at the join which is in the first picture i put up.
If there is steamy air forming condensation on this pipe then does that mean there is some tear or something in the flexible ducting that is allowing it to escape up and congregate on this grey pipe?
To me it feels like the water is coming from this join (and that's where it seems to be dripping from) so it seems like it could be leaking there (though there is no rubber ring round this join as you can see again in picture 1). Still not 100% sure what this pipe is for though if it isn't linked to the shower room ducting.

sorry I can't make it out.

try some more pics

Not sure how much more detail I can show but I've tried taking some more from a different angle
Image 5 shows where the leak is (on right hand side of the picture) & image 6 shows it in close-up (dark rim)
Image 7 shows the extractor ducting (white) and this grey pipe and shows they are not connected in any way as far as I can see.

Attachments

• image7.jpg
    image7.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 337
  • image6.jpg
    image6.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 341
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 388
ah. so the fan's a red herring.

The grey pipe looks like soil pipe, so it probably runs down into the corner of the bathroom, then vertical, and the WC connects to it. So if it's leaking in the roof it'll be rain or condensation. but the joints should be sealed so it can't leak. You could give them a tug and see if they'll come apart. It's possible to insert the pipes and distort the sealing ring, or to inserrt them too shallow. maybe that's happened. Once correctly assembled and settled in for a few years it takes quite a twist and tug to get them apart.

if it's a soil pipe, it's a plumbing question.

OP,
whatever fixture(s) is being vented then whoever did the work was a DIY'er - various odd fittings and pipework etc. and a squashed length of flexi (which is bad stuff to use anyway).

IMO, always best to use hard pipework for all venting.
all venting should always be rising - and be clipped or somehow secured.
all roof venting terminals or eaves soffit terminals should be obvious - if you cant see them then the odds are that they are not there.

is being vented then whoever did the work was a DIY'er - various odd fittings and pipework etc. and a squashed length of flexi

Does not prove it was a DIY job, it implies the person who installed it was ignorant or a bodger or both, Such people can be found working on new builds.

Thanks for all your replies. Regarding the pipe yes I think you are right it seems to go down to where there is a toilet (in the shower room) so probably joins up there. I actually noticed later there is an identical setup over at the other side of the attic (above again an extractor fan in a bathroom) but this one seems OK and no leaks.

Looking at these I am sure this isn't a DIY job, the house is 15 years old so it was probably a new build that was done that way for the whole estate.

So to recap I'm guessing the part up to the roof is to some sort of tile vent that I can't actually easily make out, and the issue is with a sealing ring inside the polypipe that connects at the join shown? I'm presuming these are standard seals that you can get to fit this size of pipe so should be able to source a new one?

I'll take a look at seeing if I can see any movement there, just wanted to make sure I am not going to dislodge a ton of water or something stupid like that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back