Leak in roof at back of property

Common problems with old terrace properties is the cement fillet is not up to the job and will require lead replacement, there is probably a parapet wall which is often another source of leaks.
Your walls are also rendered which, if defective retains the moisture instead of allowing the natural drying process of brickwork.

Sponsored Links
Parapet walls were required originally to prevent fire spread between adjoining houses.
Some thing is projecting behind your stack and behind your neighbour's stack?

Neither of your quotes is reassuring, its not the pricing but neither use the correct terminology, and there's no mention of finished work pics or using roof ladder(s).
I've never heard of a "sole of lead" or "osb smart ply"?
Boarding below the back gutter can be constructed of off-cuts of roofing lath.

Corners of cover flashing lead are not "welded", they are simply bossed around the corners. Lead back gutters are sometimes "lead burned".

Perhaps get another quote - pre-ask the roofer if she/he's a lead worker, and the other questions from above.

You dont need scaff boards in the loft, short chipboard T&G boards will do.

So I have now had the back gutter done. Apparently the wood wasn't rotten underneath.

Here are some photos

I think it looks good. What do you think?

It has rained really heavily a couple of times now, and the leak seems to be well and truly gone.

I still need to get up into the loft to check out that weird mound. I've been busy/stressed with a week long job interview, and am away for a week now, but will do it when I get back.

Thanks for the new pics. The job looks fine. But must be 100% no leaks.

Somehow you must examine the lay boards under the back gutter (for any kind of fungal damage), and that wall plate running across your rear elevation. The roofing felt should be above
it, and so allow inspection from below - either from in the loft or from a ladder in the stairwell.

I should ignore the "weird mound" - what i thought was a projection, was the parapet wall due to the angle of an earlier pic.

Which roofing quote did you go with?

Sponsored Links
I got a third quote in the end.

He was recommend to me, but he has been so busy that it was difficult to find a time for viewing etc. It cost £700, so was the most expensive of the three quotes, but I thought he would do the best job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back