Leak , unhappy wife & unhappy child

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a log time now I have been promising my wife that I would lay a parquet floor in the lounge and hall. Yesterday I started.

My wife left the house in the morning leaving me with our 2 kids (2 & 5yrs). The 1st task was to remove some old chipboard and replace with some ply. I started on the 1st bit and when lifting managed some how to crush a radiator pipe resulting in water spraying at a good rate at a newly painted wall.

I hobbled (bad back) out to the car to get my tools only to find that the wife had taken my car. I then searched the shed and what plumbing tools I did have in the house and cobbled together various implements to drain the CH system.

I then realised that the lowest drain point was now blocked by 15 sheets of ply resting against the wall where the radiator is , there was no way I was going to move all of them again (cause of bad back), so went to the drain point at the bottom of the boiler. I fixed the garden hose to this and returned to see how much damage had been done on the wall.

When returning back I picked up the first thing that looked suitable to mop up the mess and wrap around the pipe and found a towell type thing on the kitchen table. It turns out I had found my 2 year old latest comfort blanket (I could have sworn it was different last week), so now had a sobbing 2 year old to pacify.

Tears were wiped away and the 2 year old pacified by a chocolate biscuit, so I returned to see how the draining of the system was going. The garden hose I had attached was frozen and the pressure had caused it to fall off. Just a few inches from the drain point was a basket of clean washing that was waiting to be ironed, this was now rather soggy.

All in all not a good start to the floor, lets hope the rest goes better.

Sponsored Links
You just could not make that up. I feel for you, I hope the rest of the job goes without the same problems.

I'm rapidly going off this job. Thank fully no more leaks, but have found that we had a damp problem due an air vent being blocked with soil and that most of the joists have had woodworm at some time.

I can't tell if the woodworm is still active or not and structually the joists seem fine, but I am going to treat it just in case before screwing down the ply.

Sponsored Links
Talk about unlucky! Think you should have a comfort blanket and a bar of chocolate too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back