Leaking floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved into a house with a separate, walk-in shower room, about 1.2 metres square. It has a tiled floor. The shower room in on the ground floor, which has wooden floorboards. My problem is that the flooring is leaking, so that the hallway carpet gets very wet.

Can I put some sort of covering or sealant on top of the tiles, or will I need to fit new shower room flooring? If I do need a new floor, is there a simple, straightforward way to do it? Or could I tile over the existing tiles?

Thanks for any help.

Skye16

Sponsored Links
I don't think so, because the waste pipe is on the far side to the hallway. The shower room floor itself doesn't seem too firm, so I think that's where the problem is.
Thanks for your help.

The shower room floor itself doesn't seem too firm, so I think that's where the problem is.
Then it seems that is going to be the cause if you've ruled out the pipework.

Can I put some sort of covering or sealant on top of the tiles, or will I need to fit new shower room flooring?
You would need to take up the tiles and see what lies beneath,might be just a case of screwing down what is there but more than lightly will need to be replaced.
At the very least you would need to use wbp ply then tank and tape it,best option would be aqua panel or backer boards though.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

Are there any web sites that explain how to fit a new shower room tiled floor? I'm going to have a go at doing it myself in about a week's time, when our visitors have left.

check out the sticky at the top of the tiling section, should be all in there for you, any other questions post a new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back