Leaking Rad Valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I recently took a rad off the wall for decorating. Upon refitting and filling the rad I noticed the valve union nuts on both sides of the rad are leaking. Ive tried tightening the nuts but in makes little to no difference.
Both sides are very slow leaks so not urgent however I’d like to sort them out ASAP.
My first thought was PTFE tape but Ive read that using this on these joints is a no.
Can anyone advise on how best to seal these areas?

ps attached pis shows the areas leaking

View media item 73747

Sponsored Links
The type you have shown have olives and a compression joint so it's debatable whether or not PTFE would make a difference.

If you actually have the other type where the valve actually screws into the tail then PTFE could make a difference.

The type you have shown have olives and a compression joint so it's debatable whether or not PTFE would make a difference.

If you actually have the other type where the valve actually screws into the tail then PTFE could make a difference.

I believe I have the first type you mention....
The large nut is assembled to the tail, which is screwed into the actual radiator.

When fitting the rad
This nut is screwed on to the threaded part of the valve which is attached to the inlet and outlet pipes that come up through the floor boards.

Sponsored Links
Cheers,

Do the olives just pop out and the new ones in or do I need some sort do special tool to remove the old and replace the new olives.

You will need a junior hacksaw to cut the olive down to thin metal (carefully!) Then a twist of the blade or a screwdriver to snap the olive off.

If you get copper olive replacements these are easier to work with as the metal is softer.

You'll find a couple of turns of ptfe table on the olive should sort this out.
Mainly at the side where the valve joins as this is where the seal is formed.

deffo try the ptfe first as getting old olives off can lead to more problems than you have now.

I'd be tempted to put new tails with new olives on as easier to get off.

You have checked it's not coming from the gland on the rad valve?

You have checked it's not coming from the gland on the rad valve?

Hi mate yes I checked the glands. In actual fact one of the glands did have a slight leak so I re packed the valve washer with ptfe. That stopped the gland from leaking but there is still a slight leak coming from the union nut. Not done anything yet as I haven't got the replacement lives yet.

Reading some of the other replies it seems I might be better trying another method before removing the olives for replacement.

really easy to get the old olives off. Must have done 1000's when I used to change rad valves and boilers on council contracts.

remove valve from rad leaving the tail attached with the olive and nut still attached

put an adjustable spanner behind the nut (between the nut and radiator) and tighten till its just a bit bigger than the tail.

Lever the spanner against the nut and the nut and olive will push off (usually with little effort

REMEMBER the rad tail is a lot harder than the olive so will not be deformed (the only way the olive would be stick would be if the tail had been)

EASY PEASY used to do 8 rad sets and a combi in a day bish bash bosh!!!!! gota know the tricks
;)

really easy to get the old olives off. Must have done 1000's when I used to change rad valves and boilers on council contracts.

remove valve from rad leaving the tail attached with the olive and nut still attached

put an adjustable spanner behind the nut (between the nut and radiator) and tighten till its just a bit bigger than the tail.

Lever the spanner against the nut and the nut and olive will push off (usually with little effort

REMEMBER the rad tail is a lot harder than the olive so will not be deformed (the only way the olive would be stick would be if the tail had been)

EASY PEASY used to do 8 rad sets and a combi in a day bish bash bosh!!!!! gota know the tricks
;)

Thanks mate! Sounds easy enough.

and what about putting the new olives on? And tricks or special tools needed to ease the process?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back