Leaking Stainless steel pipe - options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For our sins, the water piping in our house is mainly 22mm stainless steel. The feed pipe for our downstairs wc has a slight leak (More a weep at the moment) - without going into too many details, it looks like a corrosive has caused the pipe to corrode.

The pipe is wall mounted, exposed and the leak is on a straight section of pipe. The pipe downstream of the leak has a right angled turn and has a flexible pipe at the end to the WC.

I see it I have two options - replace the corroded section with a short section of pipe, or replace from just upstream of the corroded section all the way to the WC (about 4 feet). The latter would seem to be the easier option!

However, have no experience of joining to SS piping, I could do with some advice! My instinct would be to use plastic for the piping, to avoid electrolytic corrosion and especially as it is exposed, but I understand that you can't use push fittings with a stainless steel pipe - would a normal compression fitting be OK?

Sponsored Links
If the outside diameter of the stainless is 22mm, then you can use a 22mm compression coupling to join to copper - at a spot that is convenient to you.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back