Leaking stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a "slightly" leaking "underground stopcock/tap" at the boundary of my property. Who's responsibility is it for fixing it, mine or the water company? The problem is that the earth surrounding the hole keeps
collapsing in on itself and I keep having to dig it out when I need to
turn the water off at that point.

Sponsored Links
"outside" the property boundary wall in an alleyway shared by my neighbours !

Probably depends on whether the alleyway is a public highway. If it's private it's probably down to you, but ask your water company. They might fix it free anyway, since they don't like water being wasted.

Sponsored Links
From my experience I would say the Water Authority. I have just this week laid a new pipe, ending 2ft outside the boundry and the Water Authority are to supply and fit outside stopcock, also run new pipe to stopcock and connect my pipe. (no charge).
Have a look on united utilitites website I'm sure it shows who is responsible for what.

99% sure it`s the water co....used to live in house with unadopted path . main s and stopcocks were down to them. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back