Leaking valley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Already wasted £450 on two roofers that thought they could fix the problem from the outside.

The problem is that the underfelt is perished where it meets the valley and water gets in there.

Why are roofers reluctant to do the obvious. Lift the tiles and the odd latt and underpatch the damaged felt to discharge
into the valley?

Sponsored Links
Why are roofers reluctant to do the obvious. Lift the tiles and the odd latt and underpatch the damaged felt to discharge
into the valley?

Did you ask them to do this? If you did, and they didn't, why did you pay them?

into the valley?

Did you ask them to do this? If you did, and they didn't, why did you pay them?

I suggested it, but they seemed to think by replacing a few cracked tiles and attention to flashing etc. it would solve the problem anyway, it hasn't. It is a weak spot because the water channelled by a dormer window cascades at that point during a downpour and however good the tiles are the water seems to fing its way in. Is my suggestion possible? ie. lift the tiles, cut the latts, underpatch and replace latts and retile. We are talking a tiny bit of perished underfelt maybe a foot square where it meets the valley.

flow from the dormer shouldn`t overcome the tiles - can you post a pic. there may be a way to divert it - the felt is only a secondary line of defence - lots of roofs without any ;)

Sponsored Links
Nige F: Sorry I haven't got any picks, I did consider that you could run a guttering at the side of the dormer but it would look ugly.

Stableroofer: I think you are right, trying cheap solutions to save money is really only delaying the inevitable.

Felt is not your primary weathering material, your tiles and lead are.

A decent roof should weather any rain with or without felt.

Hi,

Whenever we renew a valley we always check the integrity of the felt and reapiar as necessary. We also only install the lead in sections no longer than 1.5 metres as per lead sheet association guidelines and we also form a return welt welt to the outside edges of the valley.

I suggest you try a firm that has a leadworker to, hope that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back