Leaking waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have noticed a leak in the bathroom recently. The issue is the joint is glued what is the best fix for this? I have attached some pictures.

I think the leak is from the bend. Is it best to cut out and use a push fit fitting?

Thanks all.

Attachments

• 7EE194D2-C379-464D-90E6-19F63C9BA867.jpeg
    7EE194D2-C379-464D-90E6-19F63C9BA867.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 39FE738A-A20A-4464-9849-A1A7AB9E56DF.jpeg
    39FE738A-A20A-4464-9849-A1A7AB9E56DF.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 101
Sponsored Links
Push fit will not fit onto solvent weld pipe ( different diameters) ,compression fittings will. If you can cut off the elbow ,without damaging the pipe ( not easy to do in that position),you can fit a compression elbow.

Push fit will not fit onto solvent weld pipe ( different diameters) ,compression fittings will. If you can cut off the elbow ,without damaging the pipe ( not easy to do in that position),you can fit a compression elbow.

Thanks for the reply great to know! I am not sure what exactly is leaking the bend will be okay to replace but the first pic seems to be hard to get too. Is this the correct part?

https://www.cityplumbing.co.uk/Compression-Elbow-35-mm/p/950221?uiel=Desktop
https://www.bes.co.uk/compression-s...EqxCW1RJeZDEYiAxS8Ez1QMv8Z3PsJ_BoCU2QQAvD_BwE

Take dry tissue paper in one hand, flush the toilet then dab around looking for tissue to get wet. Start as high up as you can reach.

Sponsored Links
Take dry tissue paper in one hand, flush the toilet then dab around looking for tissue to get wet. Start as high up as you can reach.
Flush the toilet JP ??.
I thought it was a waste pipe from a basin or bath ?? What is it James ?

Thank you - it is deffo the straight coupler! I did run the cold water and the water is coming from the top. I wonder what could have caused this tbh. Is it a matter of cutting off the existing coupler and replacing with the link I sent above?

That's not the correct compression elbow. You need 32 mm for a basin pipe usually,and they are plastic,not brass.
You need to establish exactly where it leaks from,the top one pictured will not accommodate a compression elbow ,they are much ,much larger and bulky.
It appears to go partly into a wall ,is that so ?

Thank you - it is deffo the straight coupler! I did run the cold water and the water is coming from the top. I wonder what could have caused this tbh. Is it a matter of cutting off the existing coupler and replacing with the link I sent above?

What straight coupler ? I only see two elbows in your pics ??.

That's not the correct compression elbow. You need 32 mm for a basin pipe usually,and they are plastic,not brass.
You need to establish exactly where it leaks from,the top one pictured will not accommodate a compression elbow ,they are much ,much larger and bulky.
It appears to go partly into a wall ,is that so ?

Thank you both can you send me the link so I know what to buy please? I thought a straight coupler is a straight joint lol! Yes above the pic there's a T where it goes in the wall and also takes the waste from the basin in the ensuite and it then merges into one waste.

IS this the right item?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1482727193?iid=281261625124

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
That is a straight coupler. Your pics are ELBOWS. Unfortunately in the upper position a compression elbow will not fit. You will likely have to replicate what you have now ,with solvent weld elbow.

That is a straight coupler. Your pics are ELBOWS. Unfortunately in the upper position a compression elbow will not fit. You will likely have to replicate what you have now ,with solvent weld elbow.

Just below the T there's like a joint where I think it is leaking- what is that called?

Is the fitting at top actually a TEE ? I can't see the whole thing ,it looks like an elbow. The other pic is definitely an elbow.

Is the fitting at top actually a TEE ? I can't see the whole thing ,it looks like an elbow. The other pic is definitely an elbow.

okay I think it actually might be a TEE instead. I have attached a better pic

Attachments

• 67868090-398B-4364-A4E4-4427F29DBD57.jpeg
    67868090-398B-4364-A4E4-4427F29DBD57.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 80

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back