Leaky fibreglass bath- loose joint between plug and bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bath in our (rented) flat has started leaking- we noticed when the carpet around it was constantly soaked. Having taken the side of the bath off and investigated, it seems that the bond between the metal bit of the drain pipe and the fibreglass bath has come loose, and so when you put any weight on the plug end of the bath it creates a gap which allows water through.

Now since the flat is rented I could just get a plumber in and charge it to my landlord, but I reckon that I'll be waiting ages for a plumber, and then ages to get my money back :rolleyes:. So, I reckoned I'd attempt to seal it up myself, My question is what to use and how to do it. The original bond seems to have been made with something like Araldite- is that the stuff to use, or should I use some silicone sealant?

I can post pics tomorrow if that'll help. TIA :)

If any plumbers want to go above and beyond the call of duty, answer this as well: in September or thereabouts I'll be a 'victim' of Mr Brown's Civil Service costcutting exercises; I'll be kicked out of my office job (which I hate) with a few grand in redundancy money. I want to get out of office work and re-skill, and I thought of becoming a plumber. I need to know how to get properly trained, so if anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated. At the moment I'm thinking that I could get a job in a pub or something while I train a day or two a week for a City and Guilds at a local college.

Cheers,

Richard :¬)

Sponsored Links
Get your name down now at your local college if you wish to get on the September Plumbing course.
If it is anything like our college (Bilston) there is approx 200 on the waiting list. :(
Get cracking :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick replies guys :D.

kevplumb said:
take the waste off

Hmm.... that doesn't sound easy. It's behind the bog, and getting in there to undo stuff will be difficult.

Here's a couple of pics. Hey, I'm not so drunk after all ;)

bath1.jpg

....eww the hairs. Shouldn't have married a woman with thick black hair :eek: . Anyway, the metal bit (the plughole) is loose, it's not stuck to the fibreglass bath any more and it you push up on the pipe from below it comes up a couple of millimetres.

Here's a (blurred) pic of the pipework below:

bath2.jpg

The bog paper was there to mop up the leaking water. Anyway suffice it to say that to get my head where the camera was for that picture would involve some contortion. I'm hoping to fix things from inside the bath if I can.....

I'll get on to checking out courses this weekend if there's a lot of demand:cool:

Thnaks again guys,

Rich :¬)

is the leak from the top or the gunge on the threads

if the top get the pu*es out and undo the screw you find :LOL:

if its the bottom renew the trap :)

If you can't be arsed to shift a few (admittadly nasty thick pubes), before taking a pic, I don't think you have the stomach for plumbing...

PS I'm not being nasty, but you learn very little in the classroom, you need to be out working during the whole time you study - and then you might feel ready to do a straight bathroom swap. And when you go out for your first on your tod - you might just manage. Been there done that..

Go to a plumbing merchants and ask for a 5 star bath waste/overflow kit, then remove old one from the bath and replace with new one, assemble using sanitary sealer, dry everything thoroughly first.
If your not prepared to struggle with 90% of jobs, dont bother becoming a plumber, the biggest adaptor in your toolbag has to be YOU.

I spent 17 years fixing underground leaks on pipes ranging from 1/2" to 44" with the water board & after an enforced career change i went to college to get my gas quals. After 2 years getting my level 2 & 3 I got a job as a gas fitter, luckily enough my employer understood the situation & put me with a fitter for a couple of weeks before I went solo, then I realised I spent 2 years learning f**k all, only for the fact I was not completly green I would have gone under in the first week.
Moral of this story, don't pin your hopes on a college course to get you into the trade, good luck if you can do it but coming out from behind a desk, it will be difficult.

Oh! & if you do make it it to the trade, don't expect your employer to treat you like a god. Yes they're short of fitters but they still treat you like sh1t!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back