Leaky flexible tap hose connections! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK here's the deal. I seem to have two problems -

Fitted an undersink water heater.

First problem. I don't manage to find flexi hoses that are long enough, so I connect two hoses together. (well 4 in total, two cold two hot) Both of these hoses are the type with a compression fitting one end, and the standard tap fitting the other.

The problem is, at the connection between them, the compression fitting end cuts into the washer - I also used the stiffer but narrower fibre type washers, but because they are so narrow, the seating is often off centre so there is no sealing - and in any case, tightening again cuts into it.

In the past I have successfully used sandpaper to give the male (the previously compression fitting end) a flat face for the washer so that it does not cut it, but of course this is time consuming and I'm sure there must be a better way - does there exist a proper connector of sorts, or some type of washer that won't cut?

Second problem - At the "tap" end which connects to the male at the water heater, the outlet of which seems to consist of a plastic pipe internally lined steel and given a lip/flare - again, a leak, despite trying all sorts of washers (fibre, rubber) and tighening. There is not the "cutting" problem here, but the leak persists. TBH I did not have too much time to play around with this so left this for another day. Question - again, what should I be using here? Any special washers? I was thinking of a "socket" (if this is the correct term for a M-F adaptor) on the water heater, then a nipple to revert to male, and connect that to the tap flexi - so as to present a completely different face to it as there is not much that can be done to the water heater outlet itself.

Any ideas? Many thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
You sound like a DIY nightmare!!! why dont you extend the pipwork, and then use one flex as it should be used

Potentially true :D

However the joining two flexis option seems quicker for an idiot like me :LOL: so do there exist solutions on these lines?

PS actually the way the pipework is under the sink, doing it that way would mean having stiff pipes looking a lot like scaffolding in all the wrong places, so there is merit to the flexi solution and a downside to the get closer one :rolleyes:

Still wondering if there exists anything to make a "proper" connection between two flexis, and whether there exist "proper" washers that will hold at the face beween the flexi "tap" end and the water heater outlets... :confused:

Sponsored Links
Still wondering if there exists anything to make a "proper" connection between two flexis, and whether there exist "proper" washers that will hold at the face beween the flexi "tap" end and the water heater outlets... :confused:
Buy longer flexies if you cant be bothered to do the job properly - extending the fixed pipe!

I could not find them 900mm long with the included angle valve (service valve?)...

If you can't manage to fit an isolator valve, I suggest you call a reputable plumber!

I may be tempted to suggest that if one can not understand a question properly, then one may try calling... :rolleyes:

If I wanted a plumber I would not be on here, I think this site is about DIY, and may as well close down with that reasoning. Hoping any further replies don't waste bits and bytes.

I may be tempted to suggest that if one can not understand a question properly, then one may try calling.

i understood the question

1 you've bodged it

2 it is a diy site not a bodge it site

3 why not just do the job properly you will not get a seal on compression fittings with a washer

end of :rolleyes:

I may be tempted to suggest that if one can not understand a question properly, then one may try calling... :rolleyes:

If I wanted a plumber I would not be on here, I think this site is about DIY, and may as well close down with that reasoning. Hoping any further replies don't waste bits and bytes.

You may not want a plumber, but you are asking how to bodge something... ie, how to connect two flexi hoses together. If you want to do a bad job I'm not stopping you.

Ignoring the hissy fit, there are two ways I can think of to do the job properly.

1) Extend the existing pipework, fit service valves, and use two short flexi's.

2) Use long flexi's and fit service valves.

Add elbows as required.

I may be tempted to suggest that if one can not understand a question properly, then one may try calling.

i understood the question

1 you've bodged it

2 it is a diy site not a bodge it site

3 why not just do the job properly you will not get a seal on compression fittings with a washer

end of :rolleyes:

I am not attempting to fit a washer onto a compression fitting.

I am asking whether... oh why should I bother, it's all up there. :rolleyes: As simply as I could put it.

You may not want a plumber, but you are asking how to bodge something... ie, how to connect two flexi hoses together. If you want to do a bad job I'm not stopping you.

Ignoring the hissy fit, there are two ways I can think of to do the job properly.

1) Extend the existing pipework, fit service valves, and use two short flexi's.

2) Use long flexi's and fit service valves.

Add elbows as required.

That's much more reasonable, thanks. In short, therefore, connecting two flexis is not "done" and neither does a specific fitting exist for doing so. One question answered very well thanks.

The second is connecting to the water heater. At this point in time I am considering using a 1/2 to compression adaptor, a short piece of copper, and the flexi (one piece 900mm) being comp x comp. Way I see it since I dont have a good face on the water heater for the flexi tap conn to seat then I seal between the adaptor female and the w-h male with thread tape, so that should be very straightforward. I don't see too many options here, but welcome listening.

B&Q will do you flexi hoses up to 1.5m long try there if you want to go down the flexi hose route

Thanks, in fact I will probably order from bes.co.uk as their prices are very reasonable and nearest b&q is some distance away. I found 900s which will work fine.

In short, therefore, connecting two flexis is not "done" and neither does a specific fitting exist for doing so.

I've been searching my brains for the answer, I can't think of any connector for the job, at least not something easy to find in the diy sheds. As you know the compression coupler has a cone for the olive to fit in, whereas a tap has a flat bearing surface for the washer.

The second is connecting to the water heater. At this point in time I am considering using a 1/2 to compression adaptor, a short piece of copper, and the flexi (one piece 900mm) being comp x comp.

That's the way I'd do it myself :)

You might find that using the thicker 'gas type' ptfe will make the job easier - I rarely use anything else now. Make sure you wrap it the right way round the fitting.

PS, the answer has finally come to me! If you have to bodge, a spare high pressure rad valve tail might do it... please don't bodge it though anyone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back