Lean To Build.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

After some advice really, We had a lean to built last year and it just leaked by some rogue traders who now don't exist. The plastic was cut short, no flashing and was just a nightmare dealing with them luckily.

We are now looking at getting the fence side brick built to make it secure and for storage, I know this will cost a lot more but will add value hopefully in the end.
We are looking at bricking up the front, sides and back with similar doors to our front door. Roof options I was looking at tiles with or we could go down the plastic sheeting again but would rather do roofing tiles and a skylight. I heard others talk about rubber roofs too.

Has anyone had this done similar and would you know what the cost approx would be, we have had so many conflicting quotes. I Guess more of an approx bracket

Just wanted it sorted now as it just leaks really bad, we have explored the option of fixing it but want something more permanent, stronger and smarter looking.

Many Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5375.jpg
    IMG_5375.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5376.jpg
    IMG_5376.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5377.jpg
    IMG_5377.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5378.jpg
    IMG_5378.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links
I built a lean-too a couple of years ago, and was going to have glass panels, and roof tiles... as it was I went twin wall 16mm.
I used aluminium screw on rafters from Alukap XR range. They are nice design and the covering hides all the screws.
Not the cheapest though.

Alukap

I had timber to use use up, so built a roof that was a bit OTT (3m span) but was largely free.
If you are thinking of replacing the fence with a wall, it would be easy to do something similar to what you have now but a lot better and dry and it would look good.

I wouldn't tile it, as you've got to start up sizing timber to take the weight etc, and it will be darker etc.

Thanks for your reply, yes that is what we wanted originally, but wanted the fence side brick built now as we are staying longer than we are thought due to cost of mortgage rates...
I was keen to hear about brick building the fence side and having options for the roof. We have had a quote to takeout the panels add a rubber roof, add a wooden interior fence side (take out the godfathers) and it was 7k minus the flooring which I thought was quite pricey on this.

We have had three people into quote so far one never quoted back, one side 7k wooden option and brick option they said 30k... which is insane.
Just after a few options and advice from people that have done it or know about it

Sponsored Links
I built a lean-too a couple of years ago, and was going to have glass panels, and roof tiles... as it was I went twin wall 16mm.
I used aluminium screw on rafters from Alukap XR range. They are nice design and the covering hides all the screws.
Not the cheapest though.

Alukap

I had timber to use use up, so built a roof that was a bit OTT (3m span) but was largely free.
If you are thinking of replacing the fence with a wall, it would be easy to do something similar to what you have now but a lot better and dry and it would look good.

I wouldn't tile it, as you've got to start up sizing timber to take the weight etc, and it will be darker etc.
Thank you, do you have any pictures or advice on this, we want it watertight and are open to options but just unsure of costs as had so many different cost options. Do you recommend brick building or maybe looking at other timber options?

Many Thanks

Sorry I'm away, so can't post photos.

Was talking to neighbour who's had a wall built recently, and to be fair looking at the length of your run, I doubt 7k would cover it in brick, he paid double his wall, although it's in recycled bricks and has piers etc.

You have to remember there are concrete posts to remove/dispose of, new trench needs digging, and footings put in, that's before you start building the wall. All adds cost! Access looks tight too...

Block will be cheaper, but depends if you can live with the look, or then shell out to clad/render it.

Timber would be cheaper, but you'll need a fair amount and good planning before you start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back