Sealing off a Lean to

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm wanting some advice about a lean to off my house I'd like to seal off.

We bought an 1880's cottage last year that, like all cottages, is fairly small and tight for space.
We have a wonderful South Facing garden that I've really enjoyed growing food in, and I'm trying to make it more practical i.e introduce seating areas for when we have over friends as we currently have very little in that respect.

Off our house there is a small lean to, which is complete with a gutter and has corrugated plastic on top. It's in fairly good shape and seems to have been there a while. From old estate agent photos I can see they used to have a small shed under it, but now the shed has moved and the lean to is basically used as a dumping ground.

As you can see from the photos attached, there's a lovely patio full of pots with seating, but it's unlikely you can relax whilst sat there as your staring at all the various bits constantly!

We still have the tiny shed which essentially fits two bikes and a lawnmower and is currently sat on a small ledge of decking which would be perfect for more seating. So I'm wanting to kill two birds and see if I can get rid of our shed, seal off the lean to for all our garden bits, bikes etc and therefore open up two seating areas.

I've discussed it with my partner who also agrees its a good idea but is more concerned with the cost. I would absolutely love to be able to seal it off and have a door and a little window with hanging baskets, and make it look almost a feature, although I know these things all add up! It would be also amazing just to have somewhere to germinate seeds and store my garden pots.

I wanted some advice from DIY experts that may have had similar experiences. How shall we seal it off? With bricks and fit a door and window? Will we need special permissions? What else do we need to take into consideration?

(Images attached)

Thanks in advance,
Sophie

Attachments

• IMG_0331.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG
    488.9 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_2216.JPG
    IMG_2216.JPG
    438 KB · Views: 271
Sponsored Links
The quickest way might be to go to a local shed maker, and get them to make you a framed shed panel (out of treated timber) that would fit in the gap, with a shed door to the left and a little shed window to the right. Then attach it to the house on one side, and the wall or fence on the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back