'lean to' outbuilding and building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm after a little help to clarify if building regulations would apply to my project?
I want to build a wood structure that would be connected to the outside wall of our garage.
The structure is just basically a shelter/lean to which would be used to store things like the lawn mower and ladders etc.

I spoke to the council about planning permission, but I don't understand exactly where my project would sit with building regs?

Would it count as 'class 7' here? https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200128/building_control/38/building_regulations/2

I would want to build it very close to the boundary (<1m) , and attach one side to our garage wall (which is attached to the house).

The size is less than 15m2 and under 2.5m in height.

I seem to be going around in circles and was hoping somebody could just point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If it is attached to the garage, and the garage is attached to the house, it would need Building Regs approval.

Thanks for the info, but does it not fall under this?

Extensions
The extension of a building by the addition at ground level of—

(a)a conservatory, porch, covered yard or covered way; or

(b)a carport open on at least two sides;

where the floor area of that extension does not exceed 30m2, provided that in the case of a conservatory or porch which is wholly or partly glazed, the glazing satisfies the requirements of Part N of Schedule 1.

Is it not a covered yard?

I would want to follow the regulations, so am I correct in thinking that if it was not connected to the garage then it would be ok and not need building control?

Is it classed as an extension if it's 'connected' (bolts etc) or if it's just touching?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Apologies - was thinking you were meaning a closed shed structure.
It would be a covered way/yard and so would be exempt.

I don't think it's a covered way, but it sounds like a shed/store. If you are constructing walls for this, then it's a shed. If you are using existing fences or garden walls and it's not completely sealed to the outside air then it's a covered way/yard.

In real terms, it would not matter if it was a shed and attached, although it would be a technical breach. But to overcome the "1m to a boundary" condition for a shed, you would just line the sides and roof internally with a fire resistant board.

Thanks woody, that's good to hear. I was going to design it based on the rules, as common sense would suggest this is basically just a shelter/shed and I don't want a £250 project to turn in to a £2000 project obviously when anybody can see that it's a shelter for the wheel barrow/lawn mower and push bikes, with maybe a store room at the very end (cladding) for anything that needs to be protected from high wind/rain.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back