Leaning chimney pot - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a cracked chimney pot replaced.

The new chimney pot is smaller than the old chimney pot.

I have noticed that the new chimney pot is leaning at a slight angle (refer photo).

I see it as a potential problem NOT a 'cosmetic problem e.g. a potential buyer seeing a leaning chimney pot is likely to be frightened off by the potential for a lurking problem.

Are there any other potential issues I should be considering or worried about? Does the chimney pot need reseating urgently, or can it wait for 2-3 months?

I would appreciate any advice.
tilting chimney pot pixel resize.jpg

Sponsored Links
If the mortar its bedded in is cracked or otherwise inadequate it will need attention, otherwise should be ok for 2 or 3 months or even decades. You need somebody to get up there and take a proper look.
Blup

I have noticed that the new chimney pot is leaning at a slight angle (refer photo).

Was the pot placed at that angle, when first fitted, or has it moved since fitting? If it was properly flounced at that angle, then it should last decades.

Sponsored Links
Was the pot placed at that angle, when first fitted, or has it moved since fitting? If it was properly flounced at that angle, then it should last decades.
Thanks for the response.

It was placed at that angle when fitted, apparently there were difficulties getting it straight. Having done a bit more reading on the subject, I think no/insufficient supports were put in place when replacing the old large pot with the new smaller pot.

As others have said, it should be ok, but does look silly.

On a bungalow we sold I fitted a new "reject" louvred pot. It had sagged @ the top before it was fired - never been used and ended up @ auction. Nothing wrong with it at all. So i fitted it and a year or 2 after we sold - I passed by and it was gone. Some people have no sense of humour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back