LED Bulbs Flickering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just installed some 4W LED lamps into spotlight fitting - when turned off they are flickering! I've checked polarity and it seems fine.
Only other thing i can think of is it has a timeguard timer switch with photocell operating it - would this have something to do with it?
If so how can i over come this or can LEDs simply not be used with timer photocell switches?

Sponsored Links
It is probably voltages picked up by induction from an adjacent circuit.

The usual cause is that there is no earth (or no connected earth) in the lighting wiring.

I think you'll find that those timer switches are not to be used with 'non normal' bulbs. If you don't have the instructions, you can search on line for them, Timeguard are pretty good at having stuff on the internet

Agree with sparkybird, if you only have 2 wires going to the switch it is relying on the neutral through the load to supply the required voltage to the switch for it's electronics to operate.
A normal lamp has a few 10s of ohms, LEDs will be a lot higher.
It is possible to buy a small device for fluorescent lights which connects across the load to allow the correct voltages at the switch, it might work with LEDs but you'll need to confirm with timeguard: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMFLA01.html

Sponsored Links
Hi there I've got exactly the same problem as you and wondered how you got on??

I've tried calling timeguards tec support but they don't answer calls.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Devs :)

i have several led bulbs off differing sort in various locations and none give any probs with glowing they all go out but i dont have any on timers so the problem is probably wrong sort off timer

Hi Bernard, do you know what product would work 240v 3w GU10 LEDs? Ideally the easier to fit the better. Sorry to ask but I'm unsure and am keen to get the order in asap so I can get my hall lights working correctly again.

Many Thanks!

I use the following

Capacitor 0.047uF micro Farads 250 volts AC
Resistor 100 ohms

Which come pre-packaged as a contact suppressor from RS Components

RS Stock No. 206-7847
Manufacturer Evox-Rifa
Manufacturers Part No. PMR209MB5470M100

I have fitted them in ceiling roses between neutral and switched live

There are other sources of the contact suppressors

Many thanks for the help Bernard, do you think they will work okay with gu10 led via a spotlight fitting? Typically RS are out of stock at the moment so I will get some ordered as soon as they return to stock.

Sorry for the questions but this is all new to me.

Cheers again,

Steve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back