LED Down-lighters For Main Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
First post here so please be gentle.
I've been lurking here for a few weeks trying to find advice on mains operated LED downlighters being used as the main source of lighting.
During my searches there seems to be conflicting advice given, some who reckon they are no good for main source lighting & of course those who do.
Whilst i have ALL of my downstairs ceilings down I'd like some advice on what downlighters to use, i am of course attracted to LED's because of their low energy consumption, I would be greatful for any advice.
Also if i was to use any particular type how many would i need for a kitchen diner approx 17x13ft & a lounge 17x11ft
Cheers.
Tim.

Sponsored Links
buy one and let us know.

the problem with led lights is (imo) unless there are lots of leds they are dim, also they can not make a white led, the ones called white have a blue "tinge" to them (well mine have)

breezer said:
buy one and let us know.

I guess i'm going to have to.

breezer said:
the problem with led lights is (imo) unless there are lots of leds they are dim, also they can not make a white led, the ones called white have a blue "tinge" to them (well mine have)

So do you use them for main lighting?

There is also the new compact florescent gu10's these (allegedley) pump out the equivilent 35watt (halogen) and are only 7watts.
Don't want much do I loads of light AND low energy consumption :D
I could use the LED's in the lounge i suppose in conbination with a main central light source & seeing as the mrs also wants ceiling fans as well i could buy those with lighting attatched.
Thanks for your input.
Tim.

leds are not as efficient as flourescents and possibly not better than LV Halogen also very expensive I think the best use for them is outdoor apps or mood lighting (active colour change) I guess they do run cooler except Lumiled these get very warm..
Also the reason white leds look blueish is because they are in fact a blue LEDs ;)

Just to say there is a lot of false information about leds search leds vs halagen or somthing - may not specifically refer to domestic bulb replment units but all leds are the same anyway.

Sponsored Links
olly_k said:
leds are not as efficient as flourescents and possibly not better than LV Halogen also very expensive I think the best use for them is outdoor apps or mood lighting (active colour change) I guess they do run cooler except Lumiled these get very warm..
Also the reason white leds look blueish is because they are in fact a blue LEDs ;)

Just to say there is a lot of false information about leds search leds vs halagen or somthing - may not specifically refer to domestic bulb replment units but all leds are the same anyway.

Cheers Olly,
I think i may go for compact florescent seems a good trade off for energy consumption V light output.
These ones seem to fit the bill:
http://www.lightingdirect2u.co.uk/Products/CFLO.asp
Does anyone know if they are dimmable? i've fired off an enquiry to above retailer & forgot to ask :oops:
Cheers.
Tim.

you can not dim any "low energy" (compact flourescent) lamp

in my kitchen i lowered a central square of the ceiling. a simple trick with plasterboard and wood.3m x 3m in a 5mx 5m kitchen it hangs from the ceiling ie there is a gap of 200mm between this ceiling and the ceiling proper. support it from the middle so it looks not attatched from below.

the advantage of this is you can put flo tubes as up lighters. ive put 4 in.
and below led or just low voltage spots.

put them on separate switches when you want it bright. turn on both sets. on led for moood.

i played with blue bulbs above but looked like a sunbed shop. replaced them with white nice bright kitchen

I'm seriously pleased with the low voltage halogens I put up in my kitchen nearly a year ago. They give a very nice light and none of the bulbs have needed replacing so far. They are tilters to illuminate inside the cupboards but I've kept them straight down they are so bright.

The bulbs are relatively cheap now anyway but this sort of lifespan makes them a similar cost to plain old lightbulbs the rate they blow. That flourescent bulb is not cheap to buy is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back