LED downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
anybody used them or have them?

what are they like?

the room im thinking of putting them in is 4.5 meters x 3 meters. how many would you install? i've also noticed the fittings mainly have 1.5w bulbs in.

other bulbs i have seen are 2 watts so i surpose i could find a fitting for the 2 watt bulbs.

thanks
chris

Sponsored Links
I have some LED GU10's and I don't think they are any good for lighting a whole room, the colour is very cold, its almost like moonlight! Mine are 1.8W so maybe 2W would be better. TBH though its the colour more than the intensity thats the problem. On the plus side they cost peanuts to run.

Just my opinion

I wouldn't bother with trying to light a room with the 2W ones, they don't give off enough light. The 5, 10 and 15W versions (if you can get hold of them) give out a very respectable amount of light though, and are available in warm white.

Sponsored Links
are you really gonna pimp that photo in every thread you can shoehorn it's relevance into? :LOL:

The 5, 10 and 15W versions (if you can get hold of them)
Lets start with where you got them from, eh? :rolleyes:

Oh, and in reply to In Your Face, check this out:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/Crafty1289/DSC01095.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/Crafty1289/DSC01096.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/Crafty1289/DSC01097.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff284/Crafty1289/DSC01092.jpg

I have colour changing ones behind my LCD screen, which is a Philips, so I call it my home-made Ambilite. :LOL:

I also have white ones on top of my wardrobes, shining on the ceiling.

The units consist of foot-long strips of PCB with LEDs at inch intervals. The strips come in packs of four, and can be linked together in a strip of star-fashion. The colour changing ones come with a controller that will either sequence through every colour imaginable or stick to one colour, or white. And the white is RGB white, so it is a better version of white when those "cold blue" LEDs you see.

The plain white strips aren't too bad colour-wise either - the technology is delevoping.

From IKEA. :D

The 5, 10 and 15W versions (if you can get hold of them)
Lets start with where you got them from, eh? :rolleyes:

The 5W versions are available direct from Rapid, but if you have a trade account, you can ask them to special order the 10 and 15W versions direct from edison-opto.

You can also just buy a 3/5/10/15/20W star, heatsink and MR16 lens :)

hi, i brought a couple to try in place of some GU10's. They give a very blue light that wasnt desirable in most areas. Although quite possibly a good choice for utility rooms, garages etc. An architect had specified a new utility room to use all LED's to conform to the regulaton for enegy efficient lighting while leaving all the kitchen lights as LVH's.

I heard they are trying to release a white LED with a bit more red/yellow in it to make it a bit more house friendly.

I'm doing some testing of lamps myself. I have a 1.8W white GU10 LED lamp and it is like a torch - very directional. Also it has a blueish colour. I intend to use it as a reading light in the bedrooms and my testing verifies that.

I agree that whilst LEDs can be great for accent lighting they are not suitable for ambient room lighting. Possibly they could be used for task lighting but personally I don't like the light quality for that.

I also have some 11W CFL downlights and they are very good.

ok thanks all. i'll scrap that idea.

so how many LV downlights would you put in a 4.5 meters x 3 meters room? (would like it bright)

thanks
chris

Nominally 6, but it depends how you like your light, direct or indirect (e.g. wallwashing).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back