LED External Wall Lights

atm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just moved in and purchased 3 230v IP44 LED lights for the back of house.

Instructions are very basic.. Main points are

"do not hook up to lighting circuit"
"must be on a switched fuse spur"

there is already a wall light outside which is coming off. Is quite old and is hooked directly to the CU on its own 6amp mcb. 1.5mm from CU to single gang switch then goes to light.

1, can i use the 6amp mcb?
2, what fuse needs to go in spur? doesn't say in instructions
3, do i need to up the cable rating to 2.5mm t&e?

any assistance would be most appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
1- Yes
2- 3A ??
3- 1.0 or 1.5 would do, but only if cable is run inside, for outside rubber cable flex, artic, hi-tuf would be more in keeping with the enviromental conditions (wet, frost, hot, cold, UV)

You need to confirm the load on the LED's to confirm Q2

Say each light is rated at 20w x 3 = 60w 60w/ 230v = approx 0.27A

1- Yes
2- 3A ??
3- 1.0 or 1.5 would do, but only if cable is run inside, for outside rubber cable flex, artic, hi-tuf would be more in keeping with the enviromental conditions (wet, frost, hot, cold, UV)

You need to confirm the load on the LED's to confirm Q2

Say each light is rated at 20w x 3 = 60w 60w/ 230v = approx 0.27A

box and instructions make NO reference to lamp wattage.. just says "mains voltage 12 white LEDs" so basically try the 3amp spur and see how i get on.

chirs quick question.. why is the 6amp mcb suitable?

The 6A MCB is the lowest rated MCB available, since you will add a fspur of 3A there is further protection along the circuit.

12 x LEDs in each light ?

Work to 3w per LED- 3w x (3 units x 12) = 108w or under 0.5A total circuit load.

Sponsored Links
I bet they are not 3w led lights, they are expensive

atm any chance of a link for the lights? (in the mean tme a 3A fuse will be fine)

I bet they are not 3w led lights, they are expensive

atm any chance of a link for the lights? (in the mean tme a 3A fuse will be fine)

each LED is 0.05w... 0..05 x 12 is 0.60watt per light..three lights is a load of 1.8amps by my rekoning.. so 6 a mcb with 1.5mm t&e upto 3amp spur then 1.5mm t&e radial along the 3 lights..

how that sound and appreciate the help.

atm";p="960879 said:
each LED is 0.05w... 0..05 x 12 is 0.60watt per light..three lights is a load of 1.8amps by my rekoning..

I'd like to see your calculations for that...
P/V = I
P = 0.6w x 3 = 1.8w
V = 230v
1.8 / 230 = 0.0078A = 7.8mA!

However, I'm with you on your assumptions as to the wattage of each fitting. Standard individual 3 or 5mm LEDs really do not consume a lot of power.

MEM, GE, Hager, Merlin and Contactum all make them. They're available in B, C, D, 6kA, 10kA. You will probably have to order them as they're not normally on the shelf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back