led gu10 problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I have just bought some gu10 60 led lamps that I have just fitted to the fitting and they are great when on but when I turn them off they remain on very dimly when in total darkness a puzzle
I checked the fitting to see if there was any power in the fitting when the switch is of and found there is around 17v which when I asked a spark he said this voltage is common to see in a circuit with the switch off but if this is right this means I will not be able to use led lamps
any advice please
thans col

Sponsored Links
Is it a 2-way switch? (Are there 2 switches for one light)

If so, its common to see some capacitive coupling there. This is what you can see. In a filament lamp, it goes through the filament to neutral without you seeing it. But because an LED is a semiconductor, it takes much less to light it up, and they will glow slightly. Its the same as energy saving lamps flickering when off - the slight voltage makes the lamp try to strike an arc every few seconds.

It shouldnt have any ill effects on your lamps. Try a capacitor in parallel with one of the lamps, not sure what spec, someone else will advise.

cheers mate for the reply Iwas also wondering about i have a few lutron dimmers on the same breaker as this circuit and was wondering if i was getting something through these as these are electronic and have led indication on at all times plus with these there is no mechanial break like on normal switches

Sponsored Links
Are you trying to light the room, or just highlight small display items?
You had a bad day? You seem intent on picking fights tonight.

At least he is not using those ghastly halogen contraptions, trying to lower his co2 footprint etc by using LEDs.

But if he's trying to light a room then by far and away the best solution is to throw away those useless 2" spotlights and install something actually designed to do the job.

But if he's trying to light a room then by far and away the best solution is to throw away those useless 2" spotlights and install something actually designed to do the job.
maybe, but at least he's chosen something more eco friendly than halogen, which I whole-heartedly support.

At a hotel I was at last week, all of the lights were GU10 LED replacements. Light coverage and intensity was very impressive (should've taken a photo!). Was particularly impressed with the colour temperature and colour rendition.

If you find the right ones with wide viewing angle, they are excellent replacements.

impressive coverage.....intensity.....colour.....aptsys, get yourself back to that hotel and take that photo...this i have to see! :D

It was in Ireland unfortunately!

Tbh, I didn't even think anything of the lighting until I looked up later on in my stay. I'd say that implies the lighting is suited to the job as you'd easily notice the spots of light on the floor, poorly illuminated walls and glare as you walk under halogen downlights.

Is there any sensible replacements for Halogen GU10's on the market?

I've noticed some high power LED variants, rated at 5 or 7W but they're silly money at the moment.

Short of changing the 50W lamps for "energy saving" 35W lamps as and when they blow, is there any other option?

35 watt halogen lamps are NOT energy saving. OK, they use less energy, but they produce proportionally less light, thus they cannot be called energy saving.

9 watt CFLs I have in my bathroom are very good. But would only recommend these for work / utility areas.

We have 6 GU10 downlighters in our kitchen, and seen as its a rented property we're stuck with them... One has popped though, so replacements are required.

I looked at some CFL GU10's on ebay, but they seem very bulky/Long. Will they fit in a normal downlighter?

depends.If your fittings are the type with a flying lead to plug the lamp into, and a retaining ring to keep the lamp in the fitting, then the longer length may well fit.

But if you have fixed lampholders on a metal frame, then no, the CFLs will stick out slightly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back