led gu10 problems

If you want to compare these lighting technologies:
normal bulb - 60W
Yes, correct, this is spread very nicely round a room. One 60w lamp can light an average bedroom nicely.
Halogen - 50W
Lumen output may be as per 60w tungsten filament, however, you need a lot more of these to light the same space as a 60w TF lamp. Typical wattage in a bedroom, 200w.
CFL - 11W
Yes, ok, a BC/ES CFL at 11 watts will kick out about the same lumens as a 60w TF lamp, and spread it around the room nicely. Typical wattage in a bedroom 11 watts.
Now this bit, I really must contest. A 5w LED lamp will not illuminate a room in the same way as a 60w TF lamp. As with halogens, you need a lot more of these to light a room. Typical watts for a bedroom: 20-30 with current technology.

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Now this bit, I really must contest. A 5w LED lamp will not illuminate a room in the same way as a 60w TF lamp. As with halogens, you need a lot more of these to light a room. Typical watts for a bedroom: 20-30 with current technology.

:rolleyes:

That's quite a sweeping statement though and is highly dependant on the optics used. Where the LED is used with a collimator as many of the types sold to the average joe are, then I'd agree, but then you wouldn't choose a single 5W 'lamp', you'd go for multiple lower output LEDs.

Fill a ceiling with 100 PLCC-2 white LEDs it may be brighter.

It's a dead-end technology, basically, and will be dropped by the makers as soon as something else (e.g. OLED, ESL) is available.

Semiconductor LEDs most definitely aren't a dead end technology. :rolleyes:
OK - let me rephrase that.

Semiconductor LEDs are a dead-end technology when it comes to making replacement lamps with sufficient light output and suitable beam pattern and colour temperature to be used for general domestic room illumination.

It's a dead-end technology, basically, and will be dropped by the makers as soon as something else (e.g. OLED, ESL) is available.

Semiconductor LEDs most definitely aren't a dead end technology. :rolleyes:
OK - let me rephrase that.

Semiconductor LEDs are a dead-end technology when it comes to making replacement lamps with sufficient light output and suitable beam pattern and colour temperature to be used for general domestic room illumination.

That's better ;)

Sponsored Links
you wouldn't choose a single 5W 'lamp',
Err - that's just what all these misguided fools buying MR16 LED lamps are doing.

you'd go for multiple lower output LEDs.

Fill a ceiling with 100 PLCC-2 white LEDs it may be brighter.
It'd be a pretty small ceiling if you could "fill" it with PLCC-2 packages, or are you proposing to light a room (INCLUDING THE WALLS, NOT JUST THE FLOOR, REMEMBER) with 100 tiny points of light about 1' apart?

I think I'd want to see it working to be assured that:

a) it didn't look sh**e

b) it did actually work.

In the meantime there are other ways I'd rather build a luminous ceiling, e.g. dielectric barrier discharge panels.

e.g. dielectric barrier discharge panels.

And fill the room with ozone at the same time?

I only suggested PLCC-2's the viewing angle is usually 160 degrees, so would illuminate walls and floor.

Ozone?

Doesn't seem to be a problem with the millions of LCD displays out there....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back