led gu10 problems

Is there any sensible replacements for Halogen GU10's on the market?
No, because you are starting from a position of utterly non-sensible lights in the first place.

Short of changing the 50W lamps for "energy saving" 35W lamps as and when they blow, is there any other option?
Yes - rid yourself of the ridiculous idea that you can light a room with an array of 2" diameter torches, and install something actually designed to do what you need.

Sponsored Links
Just popped the blown lamp out, as you suggested its got a metal ring to hold it in then a loose lead behind it with the bulb holder.

I'll order up a CFL and see how it goes.

Any particular brands/vendors i should try?

the CFL GU10 will stick out of your fitting by about 20mm and will take a goood minute to reach a decent brightness.......

this may or may not be acceptable to you.. :)

megaman. search ebay. i got 6 from there for about £20 (usually about £6-8 each). im not suggesting you bulk order straight away though - you might not like them! :cool:

Sponsored Links
the CFL GU10 will stick out of your fitting by about 20mm

this may or may not be acceptable to you.. :)
no it wont. he's just said he has a fitting with a flying lampholder and retaining ring. if there is clearance behind a standard GU10, a CFL will fit!

No, because you are starting from a position of utterly non-sensible lights in the first place.

Yes - rid yourself of the ridiculous idea that you can light a room with an array of 2" diameter torches, and install something actually designed to do what you need.

As i said, its a rented house, so i cant really go hacking the roof around to change the lighting, and to be honest, it lights up the kitchen pretty well as is.

Sos Steve! I accept that it may fit....but you must agree with the slow start up!

Sos Steve! I accept that it may fit....but you must agree with the slow start up!
Yes, though I have noticed a marked improvement with the newer models. Though it could just be because I'm comparing with lamps that are about 3 years old (get sluggish with age)

Those exergi bulbs - whats the need for all those ribs and vents on them? If they really do give off virtually no heat, why add cost by over-designing them?

They don't give off much heat when compared to incandescent lights, but bright LEDs do produce a great deal as a percentage of their overall consumption (85-90%), and there is actually a serious problem with keeping them cool, because they cannot tolerate the amount of heat they produce.

It's a dead-end technology, basically, and will be dropped by the makers as soon as something else (e.g. OLED, ESL) is available.

it does seem to me that LED is going to end up no more efficient than CFL. When you consider they claim a 7 watt LED lamp is equivalent to a 40 watt halogen. This isnt much better than halogen, and is probably over-claimed.

People were getting excited by LEDs a few years ago when the first lamps had a cluster of about 21 LEDs for about 2 watts. Oh great. But they were useless. Now we are getting close to CFL / halogen output, they are becoming equivalent to CFLs.

It's a dead-end technology, basically, and will be dropped by the makers as soon as something else (e.g. OLED, ESL) is available.

Semiconductor LEDs most definitely aren't a dead end technology. :rolleyes:

it does seem to me that LED is going to end up no more efficient than CFL. When you consider they claim a 7 watt LED lamp is equivalent to a 40 watt halogen. This isnt much better than halogen, and is probably over-claimed.

People were getting excited by LEDs a few years ago when the first lamps had a cluster of about 21 LEDs for about 2 watts. Oh great. But they were useless. Now we are getting close to CFL / halogen output, they are becoming equivalent to CFLs.

eh?

Halogen is about 20% more efficient than a normal bulb so basing everything on a equivalent light output of a 60W bulb you get :-

normal bulb - 60W
Halogen - 50W
CFL - 11W
LED - 5W

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back