LED Lights flickering

As none of us is sitting on top of a sub station……
230v x 0.707 is 325v
240v x 0.7.7 is 339v

We must get everything correct, mustn't we?

Sponsored Links
As none of us is sitting on top of a sub station……
230v x 0.707 is 325v
240v x 0.7.7 is 339v
We must get everything correct, mustn't we?
Indeed we should - ideally including not indicating that one multiplies by 0.707 when one should be dividing by it, and also always typing "0.707" correctly :)

Kind Regards, John

thanks Bernard green, for your well explained article, but we can all go on arguing about things, so first of all yes the LED is a current device, in other words it starts to emit light. Its colour is determined by its wavelengths Different materials and processes determine what colour it will produce.

Its brightness depends on how much current is being pushed or driven through it, However there are other methods that can control its brightness. and that is true, if one wants to argue about this then get onto do an experiment to confirm this. I deal with thousands of different types of LEDs, in Multiplexed signs, we control intensity by pushing through 10 times more current for a brief period to make up for loss of intensity due to Multiplexing, which has same effect as PWM.

As for Peak v/s RMS, In Britain we get 230V ac that everyone knows, but of course most people don't know that it is actually 325V peak to peak, but we say it is 230v because that has same effect as a steady 230v DC.

So the true peak or potential of our power supply is in fact 325-330V, highly dangerous, but we call it 230V because it is in a sine wave format, which means it is not a steady 325-330V so being a sine wave in nature, we realised that it has the same power effect as 230V DC supply.

So we worked out that it is approx 0.7 times the peak value and we get a net or RMS as being 230V.

I am trying to explain to someone who asked what is a leading edge and a trailing edge. not giving him a lecture on how to work out a Peak Voltage of an RMS waveform, I know that a peak voltage is 1.414 x the RMS (Root Mean Square) so I was trying to explain that in terms of an AC cycle the peak (not the peak voltage) but the peak direction of the voltage, so in other words I was trying to say when the wave reaches the upmost positive level or peak, it is at 90 degrees, and at that level the voltage is 230V (RMS) same as we don't say that we get 325V AC in our homes! We all know what we get in our homes, and everyone refers to it as 230V AC, what I said was when the rising voltage reaches the peak, the starts to climb down, I am explaining a waveform and leading edge and trailing edge, not trying to confuse him with peak voltage and RMS voltage.

Sponsored Links
thanks Bernard green, for your well explained article, but we can all go on arguing about things, so first of all yes the LED is a current device, in other words it starts to emit light. Its colour is determined by its wavelengths Different materials and processes determine what colour it will produce.

Its brightness depends on how much current is being pushed or driven through it, However there are other methods that can control its brightness. and that is true, if one wants to argue about this then get onto do an experiment to confirm this. I deal with thousands of different types of LEDs, in Multiplexed signs, we control intensity by pushing through 10 times more current for a brief period to make up for loss of intensity due to Multiplexing, which has same effect as PWM.

As for Peak v/s RMS, In Britain we get 230V ac that everyone knows, but of course most people don't know that it is actually 325V peak to peak, but we say it is 230v because that has same effect as a steady 230v DC.

So the true peak or potential of our power supply is in fact 325-330V, highly dangerous, but we call it 230V because it is in a sine wave format, which means it is not a steady 325-330V so being a sine wave in nature, we realised that it has the same power effect as 230V DC supply.

So we worked out that it is approx 0.7 times the peak value and we get a net or RMS as being 230V.

I am trying to explain to someone who asked what is a leading edge and a trailing edge. not giving him a lecture on how to work out a Peak Voltage of an RMS waveform, I know that a peak voltage is 1.414 x the RMS (Root Mean Square) so I was trying to explain that in terms of an AC cycle the peak (not the peak voltage) but the peak direction of the voltage, so in other words I was trying to say when the wave reaches the upmost positive level or peak, it is at 90 degrees, and at that level the voltage is 230V (RMS) same as we don't say that we get 325V AC in our homes! We all know what we get in our homes, and everyone refers to it as 230V AC, what I said was when the rising voltage reaches the peak, the starts to climb down, I am explaining a waveform and leading edge and trailing edge, not trying to confuse him with peak voltage and RMS voltage.

In England we get an average of 240v not 230v and everyone, except a few brainwashed sparks, refer to it as 240volts.

In England we get an average of 240v not 230v and everyone, except a few brainwashed sparks, refer to it as 240volts.

So Ofgem is composed of brainwashed sparks, I don't think so

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/2011/12/energy-saving-trial-report-for-the-vphase-vx1_0.pdf said:
Introduction
This report contains EA Technology’s assessment of the carbon abatement attributable to installations of the VPhase VX1 Domestic Voltage Optimisation Device, in Great Britain (GB)
housing stock.

1.1 Distribution Network Voltage in Great Britain

The GB nominal voltage to households is 230V +10% -6%, which equates to a voltage range of 217V to 253V. There are several reasons why the voltage normally delivered to
properties is greater than 240V: the GB nominal supply was 240V ±6% until 1995, power quality is generally better when networks are operated towards the top end of the allowable
range and cables can be run further from substations when the source voltage is set higher.

For these reasons, the nominal voltage of many distribution substations in Great Britain is set to 253V. The voltage delivered to customers generally reduces as the distance from the
substation increases (although the opposite situation can occur if there is generation in the vicinity)

The GB nominal voltage to households is 230V +10% -6%,

The GB nominal voltage to households is 230V +10% -6%,[/QUOTE]

YES, so people like you keep saying. The average voltage is never the less 240 v.

230v +10%-6% is what equipment has to be designed for so it will work throughout the EU. Nothing to do with what we actually get in the UK.

Winston, it does not matter when we say it is 230v or even 240v , whenever we refer to it, or both, we mean the same thing, there isn't a huge difference between the two and most equipment is designed to cater for some variation.

In layman's terms Mains is (nominally ) 230v or one can even say mains is 240v, both mean the same, only at atom level they may be millions of light years apart.

In fact modern equipment such as laptops can work on even wider voltages from 100v to 250v ac

And another thing we don't go around telling people that mains isn't 230v but 325v as the 230 is not a true peak voltage.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back