led lights in bathroom - part P?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to place a set of elv (3 volt) lights around the floor of a bathtub, the cable run to the lights are long enough to have them (transformer and jbox) plugged in from an airing cupboard with the cables run under the floorboards.

Is this notifiable?

also whats the risk of a cheapo transformer such as these failing and sending live AC to the wires in the lights?

thanks
b/

Sponsored Links
with the cables run under the floorboards.
FYI the rules for cables under floorboards are the same for ELV as LV.

Is this notifiable?
Is it a complete pre-wired kit, with just integral plug and socket connections? i.e. you don't have to do any "wiring" of it - you just plug it all together?

If so it's not notifiable, otherwise it is.

also whats the risk of a cheapo transformer such as these failing and sending live AC to the wires in the lights?
As near to zero as it's possible to get.

You also need to ensure the fittings are suitable for where you are installing them, i.e. they need to be at least IPX4

Additional info yes they are all in one plug in types, for an experiment i stuck the light ends in salty/detergent water for a few days and left them on, no issues as all, not even electrolysis, so i guess their IP rating is 99 ?
:D

This cables under floorboards business is strange, what if I wanted speakers in the bathroom and it was a carpeted bathroom, do i get it notified if the cables are run under the boards but not if they are run under the carpet as is quite common in living rooms?

b/

Sponsored Links
just a quick answer then - elv/data cable has to be run 5cm below the surface, 15cm from the paralell of lv cable and cross them at 90deg (if hard wired), and can go any way if connected to any form of plug/socket.

I assume being plugged into a router is not hard wired, nor is being connected to the clips on an amplifier?

thanks
b/

Connecting via plugs and sockets does not change any requirements for the protection of concealed cables, nor does it remove any legal requirement to comply with Building Regulation P1.

It may in some circumstances affect the notification status of the work.

thanks, but I'm getting a bit confused here - I've seen telephone cable 'concealed' under 4 layers of paint in a house before. Also speaker/telephone/doorbell cable similarly painted over in houses, as well as behind the edge trim of laminate flooring.

Are you saying that installing concealed elv cable as above is fine as long as it's visibly tacked to the wall/skirting (when running through a kitchen to get to another room) ... but becomes notifiable and/or has to be in earthed trunking/pipe as soon as it get plastered in layers of paint or edging trim?

b.

When we are referring to a concealed cable we generally mean concealed in a wall or partition etc where it can be damaged when someone puts a nail in, if the cable is on the surface it isn't concealed (as in hidden), unless so much paint has been put on so it doesn't stand out any more.
You'll find DIY telephone / speaker wires run in all sorts of places, behind skirtings, in the gap at the bottom of skirting between the carpet grip.

What I think BAS is getting at is that P1 basically requires the job to be done so it is safe. Part 2 is more to do with what is non-notifiable. Even if it is non-notifiable the work still needs to comply with P1. One method of complying with P1 is to work to BS7671.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back