LED Replacement for high pressure sodium floodlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I currently have 3 floodlights around our house that run on a dusk-till-dawn photocell. They have 70w sodium high pressure lamps in them, similar to these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sodium-vapo...404734998&sr=1-2&keywords=70w+e27+sodium+bulb

Two of the bulbs are starting to show problems, with flickering and failure to startup but before I replace like with like, I wondered if anyone has experience or recommendations on possible LED replacements? I like the idea of lower cost (in theory) to run the LED lamps and potential longer lifespan but I'm not sure about the cost of buying the LED replacements or whether the light output will be too white, compared to the softer sodium light.

What are people's thoughts?

Sponsored Links
It will certainly be a shock colour wise !

I guess you will have to buy one and trial it

:) That's what I'm thinking!

The current sodium bulbs are a nice warm colour, that don't stand out in the street alongside the normal street-lighting.

I may well end up trialling one, just not sure if anyone has at least got some recommendations on what I should be looking for, as so far the info I've found on LED replacements for sodium bulbs has been vague at best.

If you are prepared to experiment then you could try full spectrum white LEDs and orange ( sodium colour ) filters to colour the light. You local theatre stage lighting people may be able to supply some old scorched sheets to experiment with. ( often these are called gells, short for gelatines ).

Some "white" LEDs do not have a full spectrum of colour and it there is no orange colour from the LED then nothing much will come through the filter. The filter will also get warm ( hot ) as it absorbs all but the orange light.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Bernard.

I'm beginning to think it will just be easier to get some new sodium lamps!

The gell you probably want is straw.

If your running dusk till dawn there must be a lot of money to be saved with LEDs ?!

But would you want that white light all the time !

Exactly.

The sodium bulbs have a life of 2-3 years whereas LED can hit 15 years. As you say, on top of that the running costs should be a lot lower too, which is always a bonus.

I might just have to take a punt on a white one and maybe a filter to see how it pans out. I could always phone one of the self-proclaimed LED experts that are littering t'internet these days but the cynical part of me suggests that won't end well...

We've got a couple of PIR's at certain points already but really like having the sodium floodlights all around the house from a security perspective. I'm not complaining about the current running costs of them but if I can make it cheaper then all the better!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back