LED Stair Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been thinking about lighting the stairs using these led strips with the 60led's
http://www.ledlightszone.co.uk/led-tape/54-flexible-led-strips-non-waterproof-72w-30pcs.html
So got the idea of using 2 small PIR sensors 12v one at the top and one of the bottom of the stairs linked together so that the lights come on when going both ways and powering the lot from a larger than needed led driver which looking at them look like switch mode psu's or even a PC psu,here is the link for the PIR'S
http://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/velleman/pir416-mini-pir-motion-detector-module-12vdc.htm
Anybody see any problems,all i could think of was that a diode may be needed between the PIR output's but then again i think they are relay controlled. :confused:

Sponsored Links
The only issue with a 12v PIR is that the 12v power supply will be on all the time, and it might not be suitable for use with no load on it.
Alternatively use a mains PIR with a relay output which switches the mains to the LED driver.

The other item to consider is where these lights will be positioned - stairs should be illuminated in such a way so that the treads are much brighter than the risers.

Thanks for replying,I was planning to attach the led strip the full length of the stringer(one side) and the pir heads could be reccesed into the stringer,all the mains pir's either have attached sensors or they are to large to recess,as said before i think the drivers are switch mode as supplied by the led supplier so they must be sensing a resistance in the strip even if not controlled by pir's,alternativley could a small resistance not be placed across the psu output so that it runs all the time or is this problematic.

Sponsored Links
RFL,Thats something i hadn't considered especially as the second link is just the mains version of the 12v one i was looking at so may as well go with those as cheaper and more compact,thanks very much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back