Lighting for loft bedroom stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a converted loft which is a bedroom and my 3.5 year old is soon moving up there but I have some concerns over the lighting. It currently has one pendant bulb in the middle of the ceiling and the light switch is out of a childs reach. There will be some other lighting up there, probably a lamp and some fairy light type things but I wonder about the stairs if she has to get up in the middle of the night - any suggestions?

I was thinking maybe led strips across the internal angle of each stair (in front of your toes when going up) but not sure how visible they would be going down? Maybe a light on the side walls ? Maybe a dim light in the stairwell itself above the door at the bottom of the stairs? Movement detector to turn on the main light (I assume turning over in bed probably wouldn't trigger a PIR?)

Sponsored Links
Is there a reason behind having the switch out of reach?
simple solution is light up the stairway, this should have been planned for during the conversion, did this go under planning and building cons. Have you installed the correct provisions to comply to fire safety?

the light switch is out of a childs reach.
Move the switch so it can be reached.

I was thinking maybe led strips across the internal angle of each stair
LEDs located there will shine into peoples eyes when going up the stairs, and won't provide any contrast between the treads and risers. Then there is the not insignificant issue of how you would connect these strips to a power supply without having wires trailing all over the stairs, and how they would be controlled etc.

As I recall, all light switches were out of reach when I was three. :)

Would a few plug-in night lights help?

Sponsored Links
We didn't do the conversion, it was there when we moved in. I guess moving the switch lower is an option, maybe with a switch that glows? Some night lights might help too

What height IS the switch then?

55 inches from the floor to the top is around the standard height switches USED to be.

Maybe you could ADD a 2 way switch, perhaps by the bed, if that would help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back