LED streetlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our local council have been installing LED streetlights in certain areas. I think they are very effective - has anyone else seen them and what is your opinion ?

Sponsored Links
Yes we have had them for about 6 month, might be more efficient certainly don't seem as bright.

Yeah, the council have installed them on a section of a long street here in Cardiff.

They don't seem as bright, but I think they're very good and the light they give off is much easier on the eye when driving at night - especially compared to the awful yellow sodium lamps used further up on the same street.

Would these be the lights where they replace the column as well, even if the old columns are only a few years old? Similar projects going on in Dorset and Hampshire.

Sponsored Links
Would these be the lights where they replace the column as well, even if the old columns are only a few years old? Similar projects going on in Dorset and Hampshire.

Around us they only replaced the lamp fitting on top.

The biggest thing with an LED source is the reflectors - This is what they need to optimise to achieve a decent light source.

I saw some demo light fittings around 12 months ago and they where really poor, seen some recently and they where very good, not comparable to the light output we are used to, but still very good.

We are working on a site and are installing standard HF fluorescents down a load of racking aisles in a warehouse. In the far section of the warehouse another contractor has been tasked to install a couple aisles with LED lowbays. The fittings have been imported and cost just over a grand each. Will be interesting to see the comparison.

An area round here, an estate has been fitted with streetlights which give off white light - not orange at all. I'm not sure of the technology here - I had assumed they were metal halide. But they could be LED. The light spreads onto the adjacent sodium-lit road quite well - the light is certainly very good.

I'm not sure what our council's policy is at the moment on replacing failed lamps, but some places, where a low pressure sodium has failed, they replace it with a high pressure sodium lamphead. So some streets you walk down and there is a mix of both. But a lamp at the back of my house failed and they replaced it with another low pressure sodium.

I guess thats down to whether it's just the lamp or it's the control gear which has failed possibly?

SOX is not a very efficient light source compared with SON, and I would imagine it's getting harder to source SOX gear these days.

SOX lamps can produce 180 lumens / watt at 589 nm (close to the human eye peak sensitivity of 555 nm) - making them one of the most efficient light sources available in terms of energy.

SON produce around 150 lumens / watt

SOX used to be the first choice for street lights - however, their colour rendering is poor.

SOX lamps can produce 180 lumens / watt at 589 nm (close to the human eye peak sensitivity of 555 nm) - making them one of the most efficient light sources available in terms of energy.

SOX used to be the first choice for street lights - however, their colour rendering is poor.

One thing I always wondered, especially in councils that are now choosing to leave streetlighting off, why not remove every second bulb instead? halve the requirements at no cost to the council, with only a minor reduction in available light.

I think LED street lights can produce 300 lumens / watt which substantially out performs SOX - however I don't know anything about the costs involved with them.

I imagine we will see (or maybe not see :D) all sorts of money saving measures on street lighting pretty soon.

One thing I always wondered, especially in councils that are now choosing to leave streetlighting off, why not remove every second bulb instead? halve the requirements at no cost to the council, with only a minor reduction in available light.

Especially on major roads where there are two lamps at the top of the column on a tee crosspiece just take out every alternate lamp

Gigagator, which street in Cardiff is that, so I pay attention next time I drive there?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back