LED Strip light, no starter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi group, going all ECO friendly I decided to replace the old fluorescent tubes in my strip light for the newer LED equivalent, the ones I purchased come with their own starter, however my luminaries don't have a socket for a starter. When I try to switch them on I don't get any light, it's a double tubed light which feeds another 2 in my workshop which I was hoping to also replace.
Any advice would be really appreciated, the pictures show the unit working with the old tubes in it.
Thanks...
20230502_093437.jpg
20230502_093529.jpg
20230502_093537.jpg

Sponsored Links
The electronic ballast needs removing, the LED will work with a wire wound ballast but not electronic.

The pins either end need wiring in series, one end of the LED tube is 230 volt feed into the tube, the other end is a direct short, so to be able to fit the tube either way around the two ends are wired in series, removing the ballast even with a wire wound does make them more efficient.

I note it was a twin tube, when rewired the two tubes are independent of each other, when I got the LED replacement it had instructions in the packet, the new starter is really a fuse, not really required, but I will look for wiring diagram.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A "LED Starter" for a replacement to a conventual fluorescent tube is actually just a (2 A) "fuse". which is designed to fit into the Socket previously occupied by the "Starter" - in series with the Inductive Ballast.

If there was only an Electronic Ballast, there will be no "Starter Socket" - so the protective "fuse" cannot easily be installed.

(Not sure that it is really necessary !)

When I fitted one I powered one end only, but if you fit tube wrong way around then short circuit.

I was rather disappointed it lasted only 18 months less time than fluorescent and output 2000 lumen only where fluorescent was around 5800 lumen, OK only 22 watt instead of 58 watt, but it was clearly not a direct replacement.

There is no gain going LED instead of fluorescent, only reason I did it was 65 watt tubes no longer made.

Your fitting is an Emergency fitting, it is not suitable to convert it yourself.
A new led emergency fitting is recomended

I was rather disappointed it lasted only 18 months less time than fluorescent and output 2000 lumen only where fluorescent was around 5800 lumen, OK only 22 watt instead of 58 watt, but it was clearly not a direct replacement.

There is no gain going LED instead of fluorescent, only reason I did it was 65 watt tubes no longer made.
My experience of LED tubes is similar. I've known several installations fitted with LED tubes and going back to fluo very quickly.

I really can't work out what is wrong with the fluorescent with electronic ballast, it has nearly the same life, same output per watt, and far cheaper tube replacement with less waste with each tube used, yes mercury in the tube, but the LED is not free of all nasty bits, even the plastic is worse for the environment to glass. But it is getting harder and harder to find replacement tubes.

There has just been a fire where I work, it said fluorescent light fitting, but I suspect it was a LED replacement tube, as can't see what in a fluorescent could go on fire, this is rather a worry, as we have buildings which are basic shells, they were stripped out, then a change of plan stopped it, resulting in no smoke alarms, there is a strict policy of no hot stuff, grinders and the like, but while in this limbo state if LED lights can go on fire there is a very real danger, only yesterday so as yet no report.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back