LED Strip Mood Lighting in Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm nearing the end of a couple years work overhauling and improving my home, including installing bricked drive, landscaping rear garden, building conservatory, installing new bathroom, removing internal walls here and there and finally fitting a new kitchen. I've got everything planned and nearly everything purchased but I've hit a stumbling block with the kitchen mood lighting.

I want to install RGB LED Strip mood lighting (5050 Silicone sealed) within the kitchen unit plinths and both beneath and above the wall cupboards on both sides of the room. I understand that only 5M lengths are available due to voltage drop etc. and so I was planning to buy 3 x 5M lengths (which I'd cut into various shorter lengths as necessary to fit the various areas of the kitchen) and connect in parallel to a single RF Controller with RF Remote Control (to control the RGB light patterns of all 3 LED Strips) which would be powered by a 12vDC 10A single driver that would be directly connected to the kitchen light circuit and the standard light switch.

What I initially thought was fairly simple now seems to come with many questions about what length of cable you can run from the controller to the LED strips without voltage drop, what amperage 12vDC driver is needed to successfully power the 3 x 5M RGB LED Strips, what 12vDC driver is suitable for the set up seeing as it's being wired directly into the lighting circuit etc.

I've been searching the net for days trying to put a suitable bundle of items together (driver, controller & RF Remote (not IR Remote), RGB LED Strip Lights, cables and connectors) and I'm just not having much luck. I've even spoken to a couple if electricians who seemed equally as unsure about what parts I'd need and were unable to help.

Has anyone else here done this before or is able to offer any solutions or advice about what parts I need and where I can buy them? And also any guidance on issues that the electrician might come across when fitting them? :confused: Many thanks

Sponsored Links
In addition to my post above I thought providing the details of the items I was initially intending to buy may be helpful?

Does this seem like a good setup that is legal in a kitchen and will pass regs? Is the transformer powerful enough to do the job?

3 x
5 meter lengths of 300 RGB 5050 LED with Waterproof Silicone coating
DC 12V
≥3A

1 x
RF Wireless RGB LED Controller with 3 Channel Output
Input/Output Voltage: DC12V-24V
Total Output Current: 12A

1 x
LED Strip Light Driver
Input: AC 110-240V / 50Hz
Output: DC12V-24V
Amps: 12.5A

1 x
10 meter length (to be cut down as necessary) of 4 core R G B Black cable

The RF Wireless RGB LED Controller you refer to has a 12 amp output capability.

The LED Strip Light Driver you refer to has a 12.5 amp output capability.

Which of these do you intend to connect to the LED lamp strips ? Only one is needed, connecting both to the same strips could result in one or both being damaged.

Manufacturer and type number might help in giving sensible advice.

As far as I know the Driver/Transformer feeds the RF Controller which controls the lighting colours and also feeds the 3 x 5M LED strips.

---[driver]---[controller]---{3 x LED Strips}

These are the items I'm looking at:

Driver/Transformer: (the 12V 12.5A 150W version)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300944840...49&var=600140736600&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

RF Controller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28-Key-LE...C-12-24V-/261454418125?_trksid=p2054897.l5658

5M RGB LED Strip Lights x 3: (Each 5M 5050 Waterproof LED strip comes with there own controller and remote but I'll be binning these and using the single RF Controller):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270989866...49&var=570093274798&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Hope that makes more sense? Many thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I'm beginning to wonder if I've stumbled across new territory with LED strip lighting here in the UK!? :LOL: I've had another electrician over today to quote for the kitchen and chat about the best LED strip lighting setup and they had no idea either and didn't want to get involved in recommending any equipment. I can't quite believe how hard it appears to be to find people who have dealt with this type of LED strip light installation before. It's all the rage in the States. :confused:

Any advice from those in the know on whether the setup I've outlined above is suitable, or what needs changing, would really be appreciated.

Forgive me for making an unhelpful comment, but I personally find it a little strange to be talking about 'mood lighting' in the context of what is essentially a workplace!

Perhaps slightly more helpful, I agree wholeheartedly with Bernard's comment/suggestion above.

Kind Regards, John

Fair point and good advice bernardgreen. :) I'll have a look at what they can offer.

Thanks John. We'll have to agree to disagree there. ;) Ambient inspiring lighting in an open plan kitchen area that sits alongside the dining space and open living area is just good design. :cool:

Thanks John. We'll have to agree to disagree there. ;) Ambient inspiring lighting in an open plan kitchen area that sits alongside the dining space and open living area is just good design. :cool:
Ah, well, that is a lot more than "a kitchen", and so far from being 'just a workspace', so we probably don't need to disagree!

Kind Regards, John

I agree with Bernard, when I have supplied & fitted LED strip lighting my local supplier supplied a package, I gave him the lenths of the LED light, how long I wanted the tails, and the manufacturer supplies the lights, driver and controllers.

LedHut appear good on these, and sell in kits or as separate items.

I haven't bought any yet, but they have a shop local to me so I have chatted with them about it.

Mood LED's do often include white, which would be appropriate for work....

We used to repair it in shops a few years back and I used to get the strip on EBAY Hong Kong, for a fraction of the uk price, you could email them and they were very helpfull and wrote good english, most of there ebay shops will state the answers to your questions, regarding the loads, then simply buy the equivalent Uk power supplies rather than theres, as they are non uk plugs

Thanks for the replies guys, but I was really just after some advice on my original query from people who knew enough to know the answer as to whether or not the hardware I had chosen would be suitable for my intended purpose.

I had, if I'm honest, already considered purchasing complete kits from LED suppliers, but decided that their 300-400% mark up on hardware costs (due to lack of competition in the market place right now) was a bit of a joke.

For those with the right skills in electrics (which I haven't got quite yet) it's easy to build your own kits and, with a little help, there's no reason not to consider purchasing individual items and building a kit yourself.

Thanks 333rocky333. I mostly have the info needed to figure out what driver and controller are compatible with what led strips. It's just the wattage they tend to leave off the description. I'll try getting in touch with the various sellers and see what they recommend.

I had, if I'm honest, already considered purchasing complete kits from LED suppliers, but decided that their 300-400% mark up on hardware costs (due to lack of competition in the market place right now) was a bit of a joke.
There is competition, and the makers of low cost cheaply made equipment takes full advantage of it, Their mark up is probably higher as components used are the cheapest possible and labour costs are minimal. Often it is home workers assembling them on the kitchen table.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back