Legal Advice sought on Breach of Contract

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had Builders in who have installed a bathroom (amongst other things) and (amongst other problems) have not earth bonded, the now fully tiled bathroom.
See: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31746&highlight=

The contract has a clause stating we must agree to go to arbitration if we have a dispute.

My belief is he is in Breach of Contract and therefore I have a right to cancel the contract with him and intend to withhold some payment.
If I cancel the contract where do I then stand. Can he make me go to arbitration. Will arbitration deal with Breach of Contract.
I'm worried my cancelling I will put myself at a disadvantage over this.

regards
Simon

Sponsored Links
Did the contract stipulate that bonding was required in the bathroom. Did it say anything about any bonding or anything about being done to proper regulations? If neither then he hasn't broken the contract, just not done it to regulations which is a seperate thing altogether

Sponsored Links
Nothing to do with breaching the regulations per se - if supplementary equipotential bonding is required by them in a special location because of the presence of extraneous-conductive-parts and LV supplies, then omitting it means that the installation is not reasonably safe.

And it is that which is unlawful, as it contravenes requirement P1 of the Building Regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back