legal height for plug sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just wonderin if there was one, i know sockets these days have to be above the skirting boards, but can they be 'just' above the skirtings, if not why? lol, thanking you :)

Sponsored Links
They have to be high enough not to be at risk of damage, and for plugs/flexes (particularly moulded ones) not to be damaged by the flex being bent sharply.

How low down do you want them, and why don't you want them higher?

New builds have to have them installed a certain minimum height for the benefit of the disabled and elderly who can't reach down so far, but additions to existing can match the existing.

PJ

Building regulations require sockets to be installed so persons (all persons) including those with restricted reach can easily use them.
The requirement is for new dwellings and to satisfy the regulations, socket heights according to building regulations are to be installed at a height between 450mm and 1200mm from finished floor levels in habitable rooms.
In rewires/refurbs/upgrades in existing properties, the sockets should be at least at the existing height or better placed.
Ideally the socket should be installed to prevent damage to the appliances' plug/flex, that will be plugged in to the outlet, a height of at least 150mm to the centre of outlet from finished floor level would be considered a minimum requirement.

Sponsored Links
thank you ban-all, pj and prentice for your knowledge, its much appreciated, having full rewire and currently sockets are in the skirting boards, i now understand that in a modern house with small skirtings, the sockets would need to be higher, will have to explain myself betta when showing the electrician around again!, that the original skirtings will be replaced with similar height ones and i would like the sockets on the wall, to be close to the top of the skirtings, the reason being that it simply looks betta and neater to me!, thanx again guys ps roll on first fix! lol

you will soon get used to the 1990s, and then low sockets will look odd to you.

One day you may be old, fat, pregnant, or have a bad back.

I have to agree with JohnD

The first time I installed switches and sockets at the new height they did look odd, but you soon get used to it and before long you will no even notice them.

The great thing about the new heights is that all your switches and sockets are in a convenient place where you can actually get to them :D

thanx for the comments, i will let the electrician just get on with it, sure it will look just fine, by the time we get to that stage!, now then,someone mentioned switch heights! lol, is this a new legal requirement, and being a petite little thing will i be able to reach them :LOL: ps i need to get a life!

you will be able to reach them even if are old, fat, pregnant, have a bad back, and are in a wheelchair.

Also if you are below average height.

Building regs says (new builds) between 450mm & 1.2m is one way of satisfying (never heard any mention of what another way might be though!).
:D

For years many had stuck to sockets being 300mm (one foot) from floor to underside and 52" centre for wall switches (although often 54" was adopted). I`ve favoured 450 and higher for many years now although some don`t like it - they don`t like to see a socket "half way up a wall" but don`t mind bending down to get to it!

below 1.2m for switches does look a bit low but as said it depends what you get used to (and it is more easy accessible).

Because the thermostat has to be looked at as well as operated it has to be at least 1200mm from floor but no more than 1200mm from floor on a new build. So to match thermostat normal all switches at 1200mm to centre.

However I have had issues with thermostat as my mother in a wheel chair can't read the thermostat at 1200mm so wanted it lower. She said my dad could bend down but she could not stand up so wanted it low.

So in real terms all this height stuff is a load on nonsense it does not help the disabled.

The oven and hob were laughable. OK knob on oven at correct height but you can only see temperature looking down onto it not looking up. The first induction hob fitted was touch control and from a wheel chair all the markings were invisible. Lucky it had to be changed as my mother had a pace maker to halogen type so we insisted on one with knobs no silly touch controls.

So all I can say who ever wrote the regulations was not in a wheel chair. Lets face it anyone in a wheel chair can easy reach to about 6" above floor level without a problem.

The corner rules do make more sense. No nearer than 350mm from any corner. Section 8 Part M building regulations is heights bit. Be careful most of the document is not for dwellings it seems people grow or shrink as they move from buildings with public access to dwellings so 400mm for non dwelling and also height for controls is 1000mm in non dwellings not 1200mm seems people walk tall once they get home!

you will be able to reach them even if are old, fat, pregnant, have a bad back, and are in a wheelchair.

Also if you are below average height.
Or if you are a child who has decided that switching the lights on and off and on and off etc is great fun and who won't stop unless you break their fingers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back