legal height for plug sockets

[disclaimer]
The above is not to be construed as a suggestion that breaking a child's fingers is an acceptable way to discipline them.
[/disclaimer]

Sponsored Links
moving swiftly on . . . why is moving the electricity meter on its board just a few inches, such a big deal to my electrician, i would prefer it to b at another angle, not a different location, am i being unreasonable lol

It's a big deal because he's not allowed to touch it.

Why do you want it at another angle? To make it run slower?

For years many had stuck to sockets being 300mm (one foot) from floor to underside and 52" centre for wall switches (although often 54" was adopted).

I was taught 12" to the bottom of the box for sockets 52" to the bottom of the box for switches (and 1100mm for sockets above a worktop!) when I was an apprentice.

moving swiftly on . . . why is moving the electricity meter on its board just a few inches, such a big deal to my electrician, i would prefer it to b at another angle, not a different location, am i being unreasonable lol

It's a big deal as the only people allowed to work on your incoming supply is the DNO who own it.

It is illegal and dangerous for your electrician to move it. If the supply cable is old there is a real risk that it could fail catastrophically if you attempt to move it, and then you're going to need to call an ambulance / funeral director.

Sponsored Links
thanx again people!, i would have liked the electrician to have just 'swivelled' it around so that it could have been housed in a cupboard on the side of the vestibule wall instead of it backing on to the inside of the front door wall, it would have taken up less space and i could have hung coats etc above it, not to worry, i guess its staying, pity though as the gas meter which is underneath it seems to have a bit of 'play' with the pipe. ps getting the electricians quote tomoz, can,t wait!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back