Legalisation of all drugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
legalise them all, put them in the chemist for over 18 with photo id and sign the poison book.
this would save the country millions reduce the crime rate and lessen the need of gangs using
guns to protect their turf.
alcohol would still cause the most trouble you don't want to fight if you're stoned
tobacco well I think that's sliding and obesity wont be long before that's the top killer.

Prohibition just seems to make the illegal drug trade very profitable, and encourages crime, both organised (the traders) and disorganised (the crack head who robs your house or mugs you for your wallet).

I doubt there's a serious claim that prohibition helps.

Legaliosing at least some, and setting up licenced premises rather like we do with alcohol (no poisonous adulteration, not permited to sell to minors, licensee responsible for behaviour of customers) would surely take the wind out of the illegal trade and its associated crime.

But wouldn't legalising drugs encourage more people to try them, and therefore have to suffer the consequences?

Sponsored Links
RF Lighting said:
But wouldn't legalising drugs encourage more people to try them, and therefore have to suffer the consequences?

Apparently that was the initial reaction in Amsterdam but then the rate of new users dropped to somewhere around the same as before.

The lure of forbidden fruit is one reason for new users as well as "on commission" sales by addicts to anyone they can persuade to start taking drugs. legalising may remove that pressure on people to start.

On the other hand legalising without any provision to prevent weak charactors going too far could improve the gene pool. Survival of the more sensible..........

there is the point that the trade in illegal drugs is so very profitable, that there is a strong incentive to encourage new customers.

I think the real problem with alcohol, and to a lesser extent Tabacco, they have been endemic in society in the West for a very long time, for Alcohol the story goes back many millenia, for tabacco about 500 years. Class A drugs are a modernish phenomena, and many are wholly made from chemicals and would not occur naturally.

Alcohol should be more tightly controlled than it is, but I do not think making all drugs legal would solve the problem any more than the miriad of schemes tried by Governments over the last 50 years or so.

Personally I would take drastic action for a period to solve the problem, although even with what I think the chances of total success are miniscule due to human nature..

Sparky Jim said:
Personally I would take drastic action for a period to solve the problem, although even with what I think the chances of total success are miniscule due to human nature..

What kind of drastic action? Tougher sentencing? firing squads? Like you say, the chances of success are miniscule and as soon as you've got the 'problem' under 'control' if you then let up on your 'drastic action' then the 'problem' will resurface.

I partly agree with previous comments, legalise some of the class A's but increase penalties on the 'hard' stuff. Heroin and crack are are no-no.

Unfortunately there will always be people that wanna get fckk*d up on something.

Sparky Jim said:
Class A drugs are a modernish phenomena, and many are wholly made from chemicals and would not occur naturally.

most do occur naturally and been in use longer than alcohol
today there are many chemical copies.

Sparky Jim said:
Class A drugs are a modernish phenomena, and many are wholly made from chemicals and would not occur naturally.

Opium? cocaine? Amphetamines?

The single biggest cause of death is being born.

I cannot see how anyone can police the injection of hard drugs into your body?

You seem to be ignoring the imminent invasion of crystal meth into this country. I have friends who are already in the grips of that addiction, and herion and crack are childs play compared to that stuff.

Where does the legalisation stop?

David

Sponsored Links
Back