LeGrand switch-Y the obfuscation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a LG rocker with 3 switches, item #2810 04 (like to 2810 05). Each interior switch connection has room for 2 wires, there is no Earth connection to be seen. The 2 holes are labeled, above, 1 or L; below each hole 1 i find a small L letter. Below the L hole a curious angled design. What does all this crap abbreviated language mean? Do i need a lawyer or an electrician? Why no Earth connection? Why not use L/N, or Line/Load? Is there no standarization, or does it change fortnightly? Please don't worry that i am in HK, still UK mentality on electrics, etc. Rant over. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Your switch is a 3 gang 1 way switch.

It doesn't need an earth or a neutral.

The only connections are Live and the switchline to the light and it doesn't matter which way they are connected..

What does all this crap abbreviated language mean?
It means "go away and learn what switches do before attempting to install one."

Mr Nasty, the OP is from Hong Kong (well that what he says ;) ) aren't you going to give them a blast about this being a uk forum.

Sponsored Links
The first Sticky on this forum, Lighting diagrams... shows all switches with Earth wire. Why do some require and some not, if Holmslaw is correct? Obviously since LG did not include an Earth connection in the switch i also assume not needed. What about the Sticky? Is that in error?

The earths shown in the wiki connect to the back box, not the switch. Have another look.

Be fair. If the switch were metal it would require an earth.

I presume it is plastic and, therefore, doesn't but the back box will still be connected to the cpc (earthed).

Well, i see what u r saying regards the 'switch' vs. the back of the box. Sure if the box were metal then always apply earth connection to the box. Of course, all conducting parts of switches are copper metal, now, usually, enclosed in plastic. What about plastic switch boxes which DO have earth connections? I have here plenty of those too! Why do some plastic boxed switches have earth connection, some not?

Well, my Q here is why do some 'plastic' switches have an earth connection but some plastic switches do not have an earth connection? Also, in my limited understanding i cannot see what matter the 'size' (10, 20, 30 amp) of the switch makes in regards the earthing as i often see this difference between switches (30 amp=earth; 10 amp=no earth). Frankly, it seems arbitrary, and possibly related to manufacturer; thus one may say that 'cost control' is the guiding factor, not safety. If this is the case then i might conclude that device specifications are very weakly enforced by 'govt' agencies.

my limited understanding
sorry but that's the problem.

A light switch is different from an appliance switch. The circuit is laid out differently. A light switch only has L and SL.

Sponsored Links
Back