Let's try again, then

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you guys really don't understand the fundamental differences between terrorism and warfare I'm not about to waste my time on you.
Imagine you had a daughter, and your little girl had been blown to pieces on a bus, and you're sorting through the carnage trying to find the bits of her body so you can bury her - are you really going to feel less anger and grief if the bomb had been dropped from a plane flown by a man in uniform rather than carried on by a man in jeans and t-shirt?

Are you really going to feel less anger and grief if the person who blew the bus up did it because he was paid to rather than because he believed it would further his cause?

What's the difference from the perspective of the victims?

And to the children who will have to grow up without a Daddy, what difference will they think exists between a planned terror attack and a campaign of warfare?

Or with the children who grow up with hands or feet missing because they played with an unexploded cluster bomblet - will they be less disabled, or find it easier to get by than if they'd lost the same part to a terrorist booby trap?

Or with farmers etc who can no longer safely work their land because of all the mines left behind by people engaged in warfare - will their hardships or risks be any less because the mines were laid by men in uniform?

Sponsored Links
If you guys really don't understand the fundamental differences between terrorism and warfare I'm not about to waste my time on you.

Go and educate yourselves.

MW
What we don't understand (yet) is what you think the difference is.

Is it to do with the perpetrator not wearing a uniform, or what?

Edited:

My mistake - I now see that

The big difference though (which I shouldn't need to point out here) is that civilians are not targeted in warfare whereas in terrorism they are legitimate targets.
So the bombing of Dresden was a terrorist act, and the US-paid Contra's in Nicaragua were terrorists. Palestinian schoolboys throwing stones at battle tanks are committing acts of warfare, but tank-gunners shooting schoolboys are terrorists. IRA gunmen targeting soldiers are committing an act of warfare, but when they bomb the Central Criminal Court it is an act of terrorism.

All clear now?

So the bombing of Dresden was a terrorist act, and the US-paid Contra's in Nicaragua were terrorists. Palestinian schoolboys throwing stones at battle tanks are committing acts of warfare, but tank-gunners shooting schoolboys are terrorists. IRA gunmen targeting soldiers are committing an act of warfare, but when they bomb the Central Criminal Court it is an act of terrorism.

All clear now?

That's a clever post, John there is no way out of that one.

Quotes from JohnD, but questions aimed at MW....

So the bombing of Dresden was a terrorist act, and the US-paid Contra's in Nicaragua were terrorists. Palestinian schoolboys throwing stones at battle tanks are committing acts of warfare, but tank-gunners shooting schoolboys are terrorists.
What about the civilians in the Hungarian uprising - were they terrorists? Or were the Russian soldiers (who later targeted civilians in Chechnya) terrorists?

How about the Israelis in The Lebanon a couple of years ago?

IRA gunmen targeting soldiers are committing an act of warfare, but when they bomb the Central Criminal Court it is an act of terrorism.
So when the Paras shot at civilians in Derry in 1972 were they terrorists?

Sponsored Links
And the irony is that those differing viewpoints are what tend to lead to violence and war! What hope for humanity? Maybe this Earth is not deserved for us but for those "lower down"(sarcastically) the evolutionary chain?

Go and educate yourselves.

MW

you don't seem to realise the consequences or either MW.

Any ex-serviceman who has been involved in active conflict(s) is fully aware of the consequences of both unlike many of the cowards who regularly post on these forums and have no appreciation of the issues which they post about.

A group of silly little men sat in the comfort of their cosy homes making banal comments about people they are not fit to wipe the ar5es of.

MW

Don't expect me to explain the obvious to a cowardly little man sat in the comfort of his cosy home making banal comments about people he is not fit to wipe the ar5es of.

I'll just stick to my torturing and killing thank you ... Far more satisfying.

MW

Don't expect me to explain the obvious to a cowardly little man sat in the comfort of his cosy home making banal comments about people he is not fit to wipe the ar5es of.
So in other words you can't explain what the difference is from the perspective of the victims.

That's a clever post, John there is no way out of that one.

There was one, the good old "flounce off in a huff" :D

A group of silly little men sat in the comfort of their cosy homes making banal comments about people they are not fit to wipe the ar5es of.

Not at all it's just that there comes a point of realisation that there is nothing to be gained from trying to reason with people so diametrically opposed to ones own perspective and recent posts from certain people on this site are so extreme and different to my own that we may, in fact, be different species.

MW

So in other words you can't explain what the difference is from the perspective of the victims.

Not only different species but, it would appear, speaking different languages.

Let me make this clear to you BAS in terms that you will, hopefully, comprehend ...

I have no intention of justifying my position on any subject to someone like you. You are a foul mouthed objectionable little man with nothing constructive to add on any topic.

Hopefully this is now clear.

MW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back