leveling uneven floors and laying slate floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l am new to DIY and would appreciate any help

l have just knocked my kitchen and utility room togather, but now find that the floors in both rooms are at a different height, l am planning to lay some slate tiles down and would like to know if l can use a leveling compound to level the floor , the max difference is 12 mm.

The slate tiles also vary in thickness from 10 to 18 mm and l have been told that l can just use a thick bed of adhesive and not worry about leveling the floors ?

Sponsored Links
Well you have two optiions there then. You can either lay 12mm plywood screwed to the lower floor to bring it level to the other floor and then tile over or you can sort out all the slate tiles and use the thick ones on the lower floor area and the thin ones on the other half obviously altering the thickness of the adhesive bed to suit.

I have just laid a slate floor in a kitchen and used a random method to lay them. they look very realistic and the uneveness seems to enhance the look. One problem was the doors, try to pick thin ones around that area so that you dont have to trim to much off the bottoms

Thanks for the replies, i think l am going to try the random method, as l am also putting some under tile heating(250 watts psqm), l have been told l can't put the heating ontop off the plywood.
l might post the pictures when it's finished.

Sponsored Links
sorry to drag up this old thread, but did either of the two last posters finish their slate flooring? I'd love to see some pics to compare it to mine (which I'm not happy with!) :)

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back